Costs of Self Storage in UK prior to move to France?

Hi, I am doing all my research now in preparation for a planned move to France, but I am frustrated at the lack of a online ready reckoner for self storage facilities. We would probably rent furnished for 6 months or so after arrival, so would need to store our stuff in the meantime, and need to consider that cost in the scheme of things.

I don't really want to contact the facilities in question directly as I might never get them off my back, but has anyone out there any idea roughly how much this type of thing costs? Any insight very gratefully received.

I had the same problem as you before we moved.  I tried to get an online quote but every firm was the same - they all wanted to contact me personally.  I understand (although it may be just flannel of course) that this is because the costs vary around the country.  In the end I popped into one locally and asked (so they wouldn't have my name on file!)  It wasn't cheap but not horribly expensive either so we went ahead.  I'd lay odds it helped enormously with our house sale because the place looked so much better without all our years of accumulated clutter.  It was 7 years ago now so I doubt if the costs are now relevant and anyway I can't remember how big our unit was, sorry.

I think this depends on where you live. We used self storage last year when we down sized.We used a small but locally well known company and rented what was called a 'single bedroom'size unit which was approx 7ft x 7ft and that cost £78 a month. We live in a large town so whether that would be cheaper or more expensive in a bigger city with more choice I don't know. Also that would be nowhere near big enough if you wanted to store your whole house contents.  The firm we used also had large containers in its yard that you could rent but I don't know how secure that would be. The firm we used also had 2 levels of access. If you only wanted to access the unit during office hours that was cheaper and there was always someone there. If you wanted 24 hour access you had to be checked to go noto their access system. Hope this helps

Just one other thing - as it's for the storage of the whole contents, then you may very well find that the container storage (as Mac mentions - but it's not all outdoors and unsecured) would be more appropriate.  I'm certain it's cheaper for a kick off.  Self-storage is great if you want regular access to stuff but it's an expensive option for what you seem to want, afaik.

You might like to look at this site which includes details of self-storage units and container storage. We have used them (and will be using them again in the future), and the company has had good write-ups in the national press. They also, through their parent company, hire out decent vans of all sizes that can be taken to France.

http://www.storage-units.co.uk/

A 75 square feet container, for example, for a six month period is £23 per week, with free collection and two months free rental if you pay in advance. You need to be within 50 miles of the depot to get the free collection. Storage in rooms is actually slightly cheaper, and similar free offers apply if you pre-pay.

Why not buy your own container?? They cost about £1000 for a good used one, forty foot long, eight foot high. They can be delivered to anywhere you like for a reasonable fee.( approx £200 in 2007)

This was our plan,find a secure and safe site, fill your container with all your items, ( I have a friend who owns a farm and we were going to site it there for a while) and when you are ready to send it to France the container firm or any shipping company will quote for collection and delivery. Three years ago the cost to central France was £2000.

So for £3000 approx, you get your storage, delivery to France and a nice forty foot shed to use when you get there. Also no rush to unload when the lorry arrives. If you did not want the container you could always resell I guess. 

• 5 months later...
If you need to simply put your goods into a self storage facility for a few months and don't need to regularly access the unit, try a smaller company rather than a household name. You will get a better deal. Of course there are places like Big Yellow, Attic, Self Store, etc, but we went for storage-units. Can't complain with the service and the prices were more competitive than the others.

Cheers