condolence card

Patf

Can someone help with a short message on a condolence card?

To the daughter of a woman who died of cancer after a long illness. She lived with the daughter, no other close family.

I've got as far as "Nous vous envoyons nos condoléances au décès de votre chère maman".

Or is that enough?

We don't know the daughter very well.

I always go on google france or yahoo france and search message de condoleance and plough through what I feel is suitable, as I need a different message every time. What I always do though, is keep it simple, cannot be doing with these long winded things.

If it isn't too late, how about?

C’est avec grande

tristesse que nous avons appris le décès de votre chère maman… nous partageons

votre peine et vous faisons part de nos sincères condoléances.

I would think that a card is appropriate as you don't know the recipient that well.  It is kind of you to send one.

By the way, when I was bereaved unexpectedly (my baby son died), I was swamped with cards but I only received a handful of letters.  I treasure those letters.  I do understand that people are reluctant to write letters for fear of saying the wrong thing but in reality, there is little wrong that you can say.  So now, if I hear of a bereavement affecting someone that I know reasonably well, I don't send a card but a letter.  I usually mention something kind about the person who has died and I always say at the end that they do not need to write back.

Thanks, Kitty - I did write something like that, found something on Google. I took the card round, was going to see her and see how she was, but she wasn't in.

So sorry to hear about your baby, how sad. You haven't been on here for some time.

Pat x