French words you are pronouncing incorrectly

idun

Anyone noticed the little article on the right of this page under most read??? 'French words you are pronouncing incorrectly'.

My bug bears: -  rust and hot water bottle were not on the list, because I do struggle getting my mouth/tongue around those words....... but this list ........and as far as I am aware, I have always pronounced them properly.

Still, I'm sure that there are many words I say that are more than a bit iffy, but I try.

And the french call a sweat shirt a 'sweet', so they don't do much better do they.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]One that I never got sussed - is 10 km Dee kilometres or Dees kilometres?[/quote]

dee kilomètres

And for oiseau:  un boeuf but des "bur" also[:)]  Like un vent à décorné les boeufs......but that's another subject altogether[:D]

[:D]Lehaut, you have made me giggle...... because my first reaction to your post was that bridges may creak a little, but peacocks make the most bloody awful racket[:D][:D][:D]

mint, where I lived, everyone said 'sweet' for a sweat shirts, never sounded like 'sweat'.

In mid sentence I still hear dessous and dessus as the same word and I always have to ask en haut or en bas.  Said, on their own, and I am OK.

Still not just the french...... with my MIL always saying san fairy ann and EVERYONE saying, 'already you' ...........IT IS VU not VOUS...... winds me up! yup it  does.

And I would say dee kms, although in the Savoy region they do say the X and Z at the end of many pro nouns, ie Chamon ikks, or ey kks (aix) les Bains. I just know family names with the Z pronounced.

Id, I wasn't thinking of proper nouns such as surnames or names of towns.

It's just that after dix and six, the French do not sound the x if the next word (or noun) begins with a consonant.

See jours, dee poulets, etc.

But seez oeillets, deez étrangers, etc

Don't forget that the ex President Pompi-doux once said after hearing an English person talking that English is only French pronounced badly [:-))]

I have a way that the French could save a fortune on their printing bills. All they have to do is to print the letters in a word that the actually pronounce [8-|] We do the same but not to anywhere near their degree.

And where the hell do you get the sound 'WA' from 'OIE' [8-)]

Saves starting a new thread, what the hell is the following supposed to be and what does it mean?

Y a pu qu’à

Vous n'avez qu'à demander (or whatever the final verb) I get but the above doesn't mean that, it was in the context of the following E-mail message telling me that I have qualified for and am signed up for the semi-finals of the cross country championship.

Hello  à tous

Vous êtes inscrits au demi finale

Y a pu qu’à

isa

The final "isa" is a contraction of the sender Isabelle, do you think the "hello" is for me or just being trendy?

Someone just explained to me that its very common now for correct speech to be so contracted that it becomes like baby talk, in this case plus being contracted to pu is a step too far for me, with all the trailing euuhhs here where people are not capable of making a coherent sentence I am used to having to guess what people want to say but are seemingly incapable of but the lack of the final verb would make one think that they are using the past participle of pouvoir.

Idun - same as you I find rust and hotwaterbottle difficult. Seems to be due to the double l plus an r.

And I've never worked out how to say the name for holly - houx.  The french say just like a grunt.

Or what about St. Elix Theux? And Pouyguilles?

Pat isa doddle init. , 'olly? Iss slike an East Landan who init. Ya know, 'ooooo'

Gud 'ere init [8-|]

That squiggle's the one that's always got me and I'm forever getting corrected, but not every day you understand [8-)]

Edit  : - As far as place names are concerned, look no further than Cheshire and Lower Peover, pronounced Pee-ver 'cause it's a posh and bleedin expensive to live [blink]

[quote user="Patf"]Idun - same as you I find rust and hotwaterbottle difficult. Seems to be due to the double l plus an r.

And I've never worked out how to say the name for holly - houx.  The french say just like a grunt.

Or what about St. Elix Theux? And Pouyguilles?

[/quote]

Houx........ I'm ok.

And I think I am OK with SantElix Tuhhh or Tuhhhx as there were no accents.

And pwee gie, or there abouts........ am I right???? 'ish[Www]

Lots of things I am Ok with, but Chancer, you had me a little lost there, it was the qu'a bit that confused me about the rest.