Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

mint

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chancer"]

I missed out the emoticon [:-))] at the end.

Is there a good way of saying "at the top of his/her/their game"?

Also "Ahead of the game"

Also "playing above his game"?

[/quote]

Hi Chancer.

"at the top of his/her/their game" ..... Il/Elle est/Ils-Elles ont en pleine forme aujourd'hui. If you want to pass it as a funny comment, you could say " En forme aujourd'hui le Maurice" (for a man) or "En forme aujourd'hui la Josette" (for a woman).

Just to let you in our family secrets, we are 3 brothers and all of us 3 call each other Maurice or Rene (to the confusion of many people around).

"Ahead of the game" Is it for a +ve or -ve comment??

"playing above his game" Again, +ve or -ve comment?

I'm (usually) a positive person Eric!

Ahead of the game, - positive sense "I want to keep improving to stay ahead of the game"

Playing above his game, - well both really, referring to an everyday guy with a stunning girlfriend, "good for him, he is playing above his game!" or the negative "playing above his game" for someone over-promoted.

Several people will enquire of me tonight "alors Chancer, en forme?"

A neighbour said today that I had "un bon mine" wrong spelling and gender probably.

Best of all I showed someone a photo taken of me 8 years ago and they said that I look 10 years younger today [:D]

Reading a book last night I realised that my use of "playing above his game" as a positive was incorrect, what I wanted to say but had lost the vocabulary was "punching above his weight" which is normally used in the positive to describe someone courageous taking on and achieving the seemingly impossible.

Any ideas how to express any of them in French?

Chance, I agree with "I would say that........" as it is the present conditional but I do not agree with "confidently" though I would accept "with some certainty"

It doesn't mean that he doesn't know; I think he does know but is the type of chap who wears his knowledge lightly[:)]

[quote user="ericd"]Hi Patf. Can I have the context of the whole phrase? Thanks.[/quote]

Someone posted a link to a photo of a tree and asked what it was.

The first reply was 'Je dirais bien un chêne des marais il faudrait voir la feuille de plus pres.'

It's a french gardening forum (Rustica.)

On another tack, is there an elegant way of saying "I am in your debt"?

I don't need a word for word literal translation, but just to convey the idea that I am truly grateful for the help I have received.

Here is the context:

I have a visor (visière) which I wear on my walks and which is not readily replaced at a reasonable cost in France.

Yesterday, I left it on the side of the path where we made a brief stop.  I knew within minutes that I had left it and I knew exactly where I left it.

I spoke to our organiser because I knew he would be passing the same spot on Saturday.  But he, in his kindness, drove back to near where it was and walked to the place to retrieve it.

I shan't be seeing him until next week and I just want to send him an email to say I appreciate his kindness in getting the visor back.  He helps me often with my French so I'd like to say something with which I can impress him and make him smile!

debt, it feels like dette would be too strong in french, well to me, it does.

I think I would be saying things like appreciee, reconnaissant, remerciement, in sentences.

You have had me thinking, I was talking to a friend in France yesterday and I don't think about what I am saying, whether it be good or bad french, I just rattle on, a conversation, sharing confidences, having a laugh. So when you ask a question you put me on the spot, because I have to think hard about it.

.....Someone posted a link to a photo of a tree and asked what it was.

The first reply was 'Je dirais bien un chêne des marais il faudrait voir la feuille de plus pres.....

In which case this means "In my opinion it could be an Oak from the Swamps (mais) I would need to see the leaf closer.

Hey mint. You could try something like :

“ Cher (name of the person). Je tenais à vous/te remercier pour votre/ton attitude chevaleresque de l’autre jour/hier/mardi dernier. En effet, j’aurais été perdue sans ma fidèle casquette et votre/ton dévouement et insistance à aller la rechercher m’a beaucoup touchée. Je vous/te suis extrêmement reconnaissante.

Avec mes remerciements les plus chaleureux »

...... I am in your debt"?

= je vous dois beaucoup. (I am guessing)

ALBOF too common in my opinion !

Je vous en suis reconnaissant/reconnaissante. Je vous en serai reconnaissante/reconnaissant toute ma vie.

Or a more basic form. Merci, à charge de revanche.

To common as in 'social level' ?

My daughter says that all the time. I think ??

'je vous dois beaucoup maman'.

But it goes back to the other translation.

In my opinion....

I'd say........

I reckon.....

All means the same thing in English. In a pub I would say 'I reckon...mate '' in a conservative social club one might say 'In my opinion'....old boy.

[quote user="ericd"]Hey mint. You could try something like :

“ Cher (name of the person). Je tenais à vous/te remercier pour votre/ton attitude chevaleresque de l’autre jour/hier/mardi dernier. En effet, j’aurais été perdue sans ma fidèle casquette et votre/ton dévouement et insistance à aller la rechercher m’a beaucoup touchée. Je vous/te suis extrêmement reconnaissante.

Avec mes remerciements les plus chaleureux »[/quote]

Eric, I LOVE that, soooooo flowery and over the top in English but maybe très apte en français?

I know Pierre would enjoy the post I shall be sending him this evening and he will probably tell everyone about it.  He, too, is enthusiastic about language and, after he has admired all of it, I shall tell him that you have given me the words and he will laugh his socks off[:D]

I particularly love chevaleresque.....................très Maurice Chevalier..............[:D]

BTW, he explained to me the difference between aller chercher and chercher only yesterday and he said that if you chercher quelq'un, you provoquez them!

If all else fails, I shall just ring him and say thank you..........ha, ha, ha!

Thanks to Eric for your opinion on my question. Also Chancer and ALBF for other views.

Mint - re your last post. That's what I felt when I asked a few weeks ago what to write on a condolence card.

The eventual result I thought was 'over the top'  but it was well received.

We British aren't used to what many would consider flowery language.

ps especially Geordies, Eric [;-)]

Well, you wanted something OTT ..... you got it.

Chercher, rechercher yes but ....

Tu me cherche ! ( said to someone face to face) ... Are you provoking me?

Tu me cherche ? (also said to someone face to face) .... Are you looking for me ?

Je cherche Mr/Mme Smith. Je crois qu'ils habitent cette rue ....

Je recherche mon arbre genealogique, car je veux retrouver des membres de ma famille ....

Faire des recherches ... to look for something/someone.

Bon weekend .... ;-)

[quote user="ericd"]Well, you wanted something OTT ..... you got it.[/quote]

Eric, I wasn't complaining and it WASN'T a criticism.  I LOVE the floweriness and it's one of those differences in language between French and English that I adore and am interested in.

For example, OH thinks enchanté is a bit OTT and I had to convinced him that it is what everyone says, as a matter of course, when they are being introduced, présenté, to someone[:)]