no mention of RG tennis?

mint

But I am forcing the issue[:-))]

So how about this in the French language section......he makes the break (breaks opponent's serve), il a fait débreak, meaning exactly the same thing.

He is indefatigable but il est infatigable.

As for the covid positive cases being counted at 11 000 yesterday, that little dé makes its way into "décompter", making no sense to me.

I get poser and déposer but suddenly it's débreak and décompter???

Eric and all the French language enthusiasts out there, come and help ........svp[:)]

Loiseau, thank goodness!  If such a francophone as you gets confused then perhaps all is not entirely lost for me?

BTW, I remember months ago discussing inusable with you.  That means you can use it for a long time, ie it's a useful article and NOT of no damn use at all (as anyone might expect)[:-))]

Oh Eric, it's me who should apologise.  Clearly, I did not make my question plain.

Why and when do you say débreak when the tennis player makes a break.

Then, why décompter 11 thousand cases instead of just compter?

As Weegie then points out, why do we say découper instead of couper?

Come to think of it, why rajouter something or someone to a list instead of just ajouter?

And so on.....also in the word indefatigable in English, why does that become infatigable, dropping the "de" which I thought was DE rigueur?

Over to you, Eric.....[:)]

Hi mint ..... no small task. For Tennis, I cannot help as I hardly ever watch it so wouldn't even understand what "debreak" means .....

Now, for the proper French language .....

Decouper ..... You "decoupe" around something (a bone, a patern in a sheet of metal, paper etc), Otherwise you "coupe" (pain, saucisson, a boneless piece of meat).

Decompter ....... this is more of a fact, a known number to which you arrive at by "compter" (either add or substract)

Ajouter "v" Rajouter ..... You "ajoute" des pommes-de-terre, des carottes, du choux and other condiments to your soup but ...... if needed, you "rajoute" salt (meaning there wasn't enough of it in the first place.

Also understand that "some" people will use the wrong verb in a phrase, you thinking that person is correct ....

Eric, thank you.  Yes, I see how it is done now[:)]  Interesting and fascinating ....... I shall be trying those words out.

I shall be seeing the surgeon soon and I shall listen hard to see if he says couper or découper![:-))]  Whichever word he uses, I shall ask him why he didn't use the other one[:D]

Tennis example :

You get a 'break' over your opponent; you 'break' her/his serve.

Then your opponent 'breaks' your serve. This effectively cancels out your original 'break' and is known in French as 'un dé-break' or verb 'dé-breaker'.

I don't know what that is in English, though.... do you get a 'de-break' ?

There are also 'mini-breaks' in tie breakers.

@+
Andrew 44

mint: Your Surgeon will make an "incision" verb is "inciser" which is used to talk about a very small cut (you can make an "incision" on a plant to insert a foreign implant.)

andrew44. Thanks for the Tennis .... still of no interest to me.

Embaucher et Debaucher ..... this expression is territorial. In the northern part of France (we) don't use this expression ... we say "Commencer le travail" (Tu commences à quelle heure demain?).

In western and southern France, (they) say "Tu embauches/debauches à quelle heure demain? ..... takes a while to get use to it.

En Dordogne, comme dans les 11 autres départements de Nouvelle

Aquitaine, les indicateurs de surveillance du coronavirus évoluent de

manière "défavorable et rapide", alerte l’Agence régionale de santé

(ARS) dans son point de situation épidémiologique de ce jeudi 17 septembre. Le département reste en situation de "vulnérabilité modérée". 

Look, I have now found défavorable but the context is clear.  What was favorable is now défavorable.  This seems to be a comparison; the situation is now worse than it was before.

If this is indeed a useful way to say something is not as good as it was before, are there then lots of ways to do this with other adjectives?

Anymore suggestions similar to défavorable?