Radio 4

Karen_Ian

I stand corrected but I've never been able to find a direct equivalent. I enjoy the mix on France Culture but my husband always writes it off as a poor R3 with too much chat! Where do you live? With a decent aerial it is possible to pick up R4 in France. Friends just north of Bergerac claim that they are right on the southern limits of reception. Alternatively, listen over the Internet, which is something many of my friends do.

Margaret

I don't think there is an equivalent. If I'm stuck I listen to France Musique which is a totally different thing, mostly classical but some of the old french 'chansons' and jazz as well.

I think you are in Mayenne and you should be able to pick up R4 on Long Wave, on a good quality portable radio or car radio, easily unless you are very unlucky in your location. Margaret's mention of Bergerac is about right for the limit of LW reception, we tested this out in the car a couple of years ago.

You can also get R4 both LW and FM by Digital Satellite (not to mention Radios 1,2,3,6 &7 if you want). You can pick up a Digital Sateliite Receiver complete kit for about 99 Euros.

Liz (29)

Thanks for your replies. You're right Liz, I am in Mayenne and am able to pick up LW (which is a pain when its the cricket season!).
I want an equiv to help my language skills but also to know more about this country, the news and culture. Guess I'll stick to France Culture. Maybe I'm not up early enough for the equiv of the Today programme! There is lots of chats but in interviews the interviewee actually gets time to respond fully without interruption -amazing!

Thanks
Karen