Advice for a French Wedding

Annsven

Myself and my intended are due to move out to our house near La Souterraine next summer. We would love to get married in our town and were wondering if anyone (especially those of you who are already living there) has any advice on how easy or difficult this may be. We popped into the Mayor's office the last time we were over (September) and the lady in the office told us that it would be easier to arrange 'once we were living there permanently). I'm beginning to feel that the beaurocracy will be a bit of a nightmare but we'd still like to try. The date of the wedding would be Sat. 9th July 2005. We realise that we have to have the ceremony in the Mayor's office (of our own town). We don't want a religious ceremony. Ideally, I'd love to get married in the evening and then have food, dancing. I'd be really grateful if anyone could offer any advice, i.e. how to go about arranging the ceremony, how much notice we have to give, what typically is eaten at a typical French wedding, is there dancing??? Has anyone been to a French wedding? Thanks, so much, in advance. Ann

I got married here some years ago. My husband is French so his documents were easy. I had to get loads of stuff certified by the British Embassy which didn't take long but cost a bit. You don't pay for the ceremony but you have to pay for the blood tests which have to arrive before they put up the banns I think but can't really remember. The hours marriages are allowed are controlled too so you can't marry after a certain time.. have to ask your Mairie. I would advise asking the Consulate in Paris about documents required or your Mairie might know. The after wedding party goes on all night and the day after is le return de marriage where they all come back and you have to feed them again. I got away with just one day but my husbands last marriage was celebrated for a week! As for food - well! You can get caterers of course. Me I would do a buffet and perhaps a hot meal the next day. Lots of desserts of course but our wedding cake is unknown here. Seem to have a mountain of profiteroles glued together! Most people seem to hire the salle de fete or have marquees in the garden but that makes it more dificult to dance. Certainly things are more relaxed so nobody will be banging their knives on the table if the hot course isn't ready. In fact the problem I have found is getting them to shut up gabbing and eat! What ever you decide I wish you all the best for the future and I am sure it will be a wonderfull day.

Thanks so much for the advice. It sounds like a lot of work but sounds like it should be worth it (that sounds quite bad, doesn't it). Because of an impending birth just announced here in Scotland, there is a chance that we may HAVE to have it here - neither of us really want to! I will contact the Embassy soonest. Thanks again. Ann.