South Bank Show: Johnny !!!Johnny !!!Johnny!!!

BJSLIV

Sunday 9th May 22:45 the South Bank Show

"As France and Britain celebrate 100 years of the Entente Cordiale, The South Bank Show crosses The Channel.
Johnny Hallyday is a truly French phenomenon: the biggest rock star youve never heard of"

Who said that British TV is dumbing down when it can still tackle difficult issues such as that.

Next week The Meaning of Life.....

>Sunday 9th May 22:45 the South
>Bank Show
>
>"As France and Britain celebrate 100
>years of the Entente Cordiale,
>The South Bank Show crosses
>The Channel.
>Johnny Hallyday is a truly French
>phenomenon: the biggest rock star
>youve never heard of"
>
>Who said that British TV is
>dumbing down when it can
>still tackle difficult issues such
>as that.
>
>Next week The Meaning of Life.....
>
>
there is no escape!!!

Andy Spencer

Francophile in Essex

When I first became intimately entwined with La France about 30 years ago I stumbled upon M. Halliday, who was the described as an international 'Rock Star' with a huge following in the USA.

I had never heard of him in England, I like his voice but still, I believe he has no presence here, only Charles Aznavour and 'Slasher' Distel ever made it 'big', so if Johnny still, at the ripe old age of 60+? needs to wrap himself in this internationally recognised blanket then who am I to argue?

rock on Sherrif Johnny....

Dear BSLIV

I too watched the programme with interest ! 2 thoughts occured to me :

1. The programme did illustrate what seems to me to be a very prominent feature of French culture (in its widest sense - not just arts etc) : that is the way in which almost anything "French" (or Belgian in this case) is better than anything not "French". And if something non-French is popular (especially with young people) it's better to imitate it than admire it. (I say this with some respect to/of this aspect of French culture).

2. I was reminded of what happened with Arnold Swartzi ... (sorry Arnie - can't spell your name !) : the more you are accused of rape, the more popular you become ! Sad and depressing (to say the least) fact that does indeed seem to be trans-continental !

best wishes

Jean-Paul