Bastille Day

Adrienne

In our commune of 190 people, there will be lots of food and wine (well this is the Cote D'Or Burgundy!)at lunch time. In the afternoon, no time we work on French time, a fete, with stalls, a skittles match (should be interesting after all the wine,)a raffle. Then a fire work display and a dance with - more wine and food.

Bonne fete!

Charallais

Que dalle dans le village. Must find out why July 14th passes by unmarked like that.

We were going to climb Pic St Loup to watch all the fireworks from the top, but in solidarity with Fingerless Fred, who is still in some pain (and a sling) after his little electric saw accident, and who won't appreciate stumbling about the Pic in the dark, we will instead retire to a neighbour's balcony, where we can see the fireworks all the way from Aigues Mortes along to Montpellier and Palavas, and everywhere in between.

Have been requested to make a Pavlova for the occasion. Yes, my cooking skills are in demand in France!!!!

Happy 14th tlm

There were fireworks down in the port last night although we didn't go because it was a miserable and chilly evening and everyone was tired but we heard them banging away at 11.30'ish Today,the shop is open, my daughter is working until 1pm at another large supermarket and we have an emergency call out to fix some fuses for an old client and the village as usual will be sleepy with nothing communal going on. My son is also leaving to go on holiday as well and in general it is a grey,chilly day threatening rain here in 29. The restrictions on letting off fireworks now has stopped a lot of people who used to have grand displays.

Here in our little village in 84 events started at 10.30am. Flags and bunting being put up, some already tucking into the booze, God knows in what state they will be in later! The open boules competition starts at 15.00, followed by the traditional march from the Mairie to the fountain square carrying the bust of Marianne and then all the children ride their decorated bikes around in a sort of display. After that there is a huge open air 6 course meal at the local school followed by 2 or 3 live bands infront of the bar. I'm just glad that we can walk there and back!!

Thanks for all the replies - anything going on/gone on in the Creuse or did the tour de France overshadow things. Next year we hope to be a proper part of the community and join in the celebrations. Food and wine are just up our street !!

Our celebrations went well.
Was organised by the Sapeur Pompiers who provided the food, wine, fete, firework display and music.
At the fete all the women had to pull a ticket out of the hat in the tombolla and received a present from the Commune. This was totally organised and run by the mayor, Yvonne our next door neighbour. We all received lovely pieces of pottery, mine a beautiful dish.
The firework display on the highest part of the commune was beautiful and then we all trooped back down the hill to the salle de fete for the dancing. We left at 1am and left lots of people still dancing.
I wonder why the youngsters don't all speak perfect English as they all knew all the words to all the American and English pop songs.!

Great time had by all, they know how to party here.

Charallais