Books, recycling and discussing

Charallais

One or two of us have read Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Has anyone else, what do you think of the book? Storyline, writing style, content?

Also how would you feel about recycling your books amongst other readers. I know I have loads of books I just couldn't leave behind in England but they do take up a lot of room. If anyone else would like a read they are welcome.

For good measure, anyone got a book that they feel is a must read? It would be interesting to know, either in English or French.

Charallais

Never heard of it, would you recommend it? Does it have a link with French Culture?
I'm about to start dipping into a collection of thirteen short stories by Madeleine Chapsal, J'ai toujours raison.

LAST EDITED ON 30-Jul-04 AT 10:49 AM (BST)

>>For good measure, anyone got a
>book that they feel is
>a must read? It would
>be interesting to know, either
>in English or French.

Hundreds! I'd love to give you some recommendations but I'd be here all day. Try a search (click on the icon at top of page). And people say there's also a very interesting list on the Total France website. M

ps: sorry, that was very unhelpful. Available either in the original or English translation, how about Zola's, la Bete Humaine? Certainly one of my desert island books. And at the opposite end of the literary scale and a work that I keep pushing here but no one appears to take me up on, Louis Sanders', The Englishman's Wife. A good who dunnit set in the Dordogne, I certainly recognised one or two British expats between the pages.

What Helen said about seeing Charlotte Grey and then going out into the same streets happened to us after we saw Chocolat.

We live just 10 minutes from where Chocolat was filmed and I love going to Flavigny just to try and pinpoint where scenes were filmed. I must admit though, I prefered the book to the film but the village is so lovely I liked the film just for that.
Charallais

My list of books I have for lending set in France. All I would ask is they be returned.

Instructions for Visitors Helen Stevenson set in southwest France

On rue Tatin Susan Loomis set in and around Louviers

French Spirits Jeffrey Greene set in the Puisaye region of Burgundy

Almost French Sarah Turnbull set in Paris

The Olive Farm Carol Drinkwater

The Olive Season Carol Drinkwater both set in Provence

French Revolutions Tim moore Seduced by the hype of the tour de France he sets out to cycle the route, a funny story based on his experiences.

I also have Nacy Wake by Peter Fitzsimons which is the biography of an Australian woman who marries a Frenchman. When he is killed by the Germans she becomes a resistance fighter in WW2. A lovely true story, sent to me by an Australian friend so I would want that back.

e-mail me on [email protected] if you are interested in any of these.

Charallais

10th anniversary of its publication. The Telegraph magazine 7/8/04 has an article by Sebastian Faulks, ........"the author describes the long, emotional journey that lead to the making of a modern classic."

A very interesting read.

Gill