Re-registering a property after the death of a spouse

jd

A recently widowed friend has been charged £3000 to re-register her french property, after the death of her husband, by her french solicitor. Has anyone else experienced this seemingly high fee? I have not been aware of this cost to date.

I don't have any documents to hand but ours was subject to the clause tontine, which meant that the property passed automatically to the surviving spouse, which may have avoided some costs; however it doesn't avoid tax altogether, there is an allowance which meant that since the property was worth less than about €250,000 (restoration project!) no tax was payable on the death of the first partner. The notaire also dealt with succession for my french property to our children (requiring their birth certificates) and his final bill was €1600. I suspect the balance could be due to the value of her property?

I've checked the documents relating to my 'succession' and they came to just under 2,000 euros.(October 2007) We didn't have a 'clause tontine' in place, and there were 2 adult children involved There is a fee emoluments d'acte 1247euros, tresor 257euros, emoluments de formalities 133euros, all plus TVA 270.98 euros
As Just John has mentioned it may be due to the value and the length of time you have had the property. In my case  it was valued at 130,000 euros and we bught it in July 2002.

Hope this is of some use.

My wife and I bought our French house en tontine about 15 years ago. She died about 7 years ago. I contacted the agent through whom we had bought the house and he accompanied me to the notaire. I was told that because of the value of the property there was no tax liability. I paid about €600 in notairial fees, registration fees etc. The notaire produced an attestation in my presence ... and that was it.

The result of buying en tontine is similar to the English practice of joint tenancy: ownership of the property by the survivor is backdated to the original date of purchase. The effect is that the survivor has been the sole owner of the property since its purchase.

• 1 month later...
Hi!

It represents the transcription of a property following a succession.

Now that depends on the value of the property transmitted, and on the départment.

But here it could also include succession costs with all the declarations the Notaire has to make.

Yours,

giantpanda

PS. Has you friend done an income tax declaration at the time of the death ( for the couple ) and a seperate declaration for the rest of the year for himself?