aidez-moi svp

maude

[quote]Can someone kindly give me the French/uk clothing size comparisons as we cant find it anywhere in our literary bumpf! Many thanks to the respndents!Maude[/quote]

Sizes

UK 12 = 40 French size

14 = 42

16 = 44

18 = 46

According to a label from a garment I've bought recently size 40 corresponds to UK 12. As far as I can remember it's never been any different.

[quote]What are the equivalents of the T1, T2, and T3 that you often see in France?[/quote]

Isn't it the term that estate agents use for describing how many rooms there are in a house etc?

Or am I completely confused here and you're still referring to clothes sizes.

I think T1, T2 and T3 probably do mean Taille and are possibly small, medium and large. But smallest, smaller and small are probably more appropriate. Most of my daughter's tops are from French shops and she has a variation of T sizes. I'd guess they are more like 8, 10 and 12 in size.

In England, isn't it New Look that has sizes in French and English. Perhaps try looking at labels there for comparing 40, 42 etc.

I looked on one of the 'official' sites a couple of months ago and it is indeed what Teejay says.  BUT my OH who worked for many many years in his 'Garment shops' (ie in the dark ages before jeans) said that you deduct 30.  So I don't know.

I can say that I was bra shopping the other day (Super U) and flicking through them, I noticed 105D is 40D which surprised me as I would have thought 100cm is nearer 40".

I just buy the biggest size on the rack

Can't go wrong then!

This is a nightmare in some shops in the UK as well as France as they use Euro, US and T sizes sporadically through the shops. GAP for example use T sizes and Euro sizes.

T sizes go from 1 to 5 and are often seen on mens clothes like shirts, all I know is that a T4 shirt is the equivalent of a 16 collar (44 inch chest) in the UK, they also do the equivelant of tight and loose fitting in these sizes.

The chart I have for womens dresses is:

UK    10    12    14   16    18     20                   

Fr     40    42    44    46   48     50

For suits

UK & US   36  38   40  42   44   46 

Fr          46   48   50  52   54   56

For shirts

UK & US   14  14.5  15   15.5     16  16.5   17 

French    36   37    38   39-40   41  42     43     

Sizings don't seem to be exact equivelents. I've seen size 38 translated as size 10 and as size 12. I find that it's somewhere between the two; more or less an 11.

As for T1 etc. It means Taille 1 and so on. I generally try a T2 first because I find T1 can be a bit too tight (it probably caters for those size 34/36 women here)

Of course, just like in the UK, you have to know the shop. Some of them size more generously.