Le Plus Bel Homme du Monde

SaligoBay

Always willing, so I put this on last night (not the same as watching it, because this 30-best-of type program has no inherent value, apart from helping you get to grips with French culcher).

Obviously French wimmin have a different concept of "beau" from wot I have.  There were a few real fugglies in there, and - ssssshhhhh - most of them were French!!!

And Bill Clinton at number 33 ??????????? 

Here are the results, in case anyone's interested. 

http://television.over-blog.com/article-100601.html

Well, I had to sneak a look, if only for vanity's sake to see how I might have measured up had I been famous...

A few surprises, such as there being rather more foreigners than I would have expected from a French poll. A lot I'd never heard of, too. David Beckham being ahead of Thierry Henri was a surprise. And every woman I know reckons Sean Connery is sex on legs (albeit almost necrophiliac sex) so it was a shock that he (and Johnny Depp who is after all married to a Frenchwoman and I thought was popular here) only just edged in ahead of Clinton. I thought No19 said Julian Clary on first reading (actually Julien Clerc - who he?). I wouldn't have expected to see Hugh Grant (34) particularly ahead of Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson.

Gerard Depardieu, whom Mrs Conq rather fancies I think, is nowhere to be seen.

I suppose that given the diminutive stature of most of the men from our part of France I shouldn't be surprised to see a dwarf at the head of the list.

All this 'top 50' stuff is a bit Total France though, isn't it?

What a strange list and Huge Jackman didn't even make it.

Julien Clerc is a.........ah this does pain me to say, singer. He  has sang one song where I thought he sang well, but he always sounds off key and he wobbles.

Gerard Depardieu beau? hmm not what quite crosses my mind really. He has something about him, I'm not sure if it is good looks though.

There are only a couple on the list that I do know know and as my curiosity is peeked I will have to look them up.

I must say that there are lot of old men on the list aren't there........ quite amazing really. And the pip squeak at number one, well, that was a surprise.

Just glancing down the list, I will plump for 2, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15 18, and 20.  Not in best looks order.  Some of them are a bit past their best now. 

Out of the list, Roch Vosine....soft spot for Garou and like Franck Dubosc too.  Did you know that Franck Dubosc was Deidrie's French boyfriend many years ago?  Of course you did.  I've already told you once!

Definitely disappointed at no Huge Jackman.  Orlando Bloom is kind of growing on me though  (oo-er missus, sounds like something I might need cream for).

I think that out of all the French ones on offer last night, the Hallyday boys were the best.  Ah no, maybe Zidane, he's rather yummy.   Thierry Lhermitte is lovely, but a bit underfed.

Whoever wants Colin Firth can have him.  And Hugh Grant.  And Bill Clinton.  Funny thing taste, isn't it?   Am I allowed to say that immediately after mentioning Bill Clinton?

Nytol.

Going off at a tangent, if you want to see gorgeous frenchmen try sitting by the bottom of the stairway in the Toulouse fnac at lunchtime. All these suave businessmen come in, not formally dressed as in uk, but casual chic, colour coordinated and elegant. A bit of a culture shock after being among the country bumpkins in Champion at Mirande. Me included.Pat.

I agree, #1... not my style.

Maybe they meant Paul Newman in his Butch & Sundance days? 'cause he still had it then, and boy did he, but I'm not sure now. Then again, a lot of his time is devoted to charities, including the Hole in the Wall Gang camp (which helps children with life-threatening diseases), and men with a good heart and soul are sexy.

I fully agree with the outrage at the lack of a Colin Firth or a Hugh Jackman. mmMMMmmm... (Choosing Kevin Costner over Colin and Hugh... I just... don't understand...)

I've just had another look, and......Zinedine Zidane????? Give me strength, he's about as beautiful and sexy as my dishcloth! And whilst we are looking at sports personalities, where is Frederic Michalak? He's about as sexy and good looking as it gets on a pitch, and those legs....

Anyway, still grumbling about no Colin Firth,

[quote]<<Zinedine Zidane????? Give me strength, he's about as beautiful and sexy as my dishcloth!>> Where can I buy these dishcloths??? You have to tell me!![/quote]

Well....I won't just give my secrets away, you know. But seriously, I just don't like the glowering, grumpy look. He's a fantastic footballer though. Also, as you can see from my preference for Michalak, I'm somewhat of a cradle snatcher!!!