Classic French films

Callandclan

I'd like some advice folks.  I have a good collection of British/American  Classics from the 40's onwards eg, The thin man, 39 steps, some Sherlock holmes, St Trinians, Citizen Cane, Billy Liar, Alfred Hitchcock,Whistle down the wind, Georgie Girl, Alfie, Italian job, you get where I'm coming from I hope.  What I would like to do now is start a collection of classic french films, I've started by getting La Reine Margot on the recommendation of my teacher.  I'd like any titles you can think of from drama, comedy, thrillers etc from the 40's onwards.

Your input will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Jan

Hiya,

Having lived in France when I was a child most of the films that I remember date from that time.  The ones that stick in my mind are the comedies of Jacques Tati's - 'Mon Oncle' (1958) and 'Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot' (1953).  Also remember enjoying 'Le Ballon Rouge' (1954) because being an English kid in a french school I had my fair share of mild bullying and for a time lived with the notion that I had single handedly burn Joan of Arc!

Gilly

Hi Jan

It is a big field but here are a few that I like

Zéro de Conduite               1933        dir Jean Vigo

Les Enfants du Paradis       1945       dir Marcel Carné

Jour de Fête                       1949        dir Jaques Tati

Les Quatre Cents Coups    1959       dir François Truffaut

Jean de Florette                  1986    dir Claude Berri

Manon des Sources            1986    dir Claude Berri

I recommend www.imdb.com

to see details and opinions of these.

ian

Hi,

I would advise that you look for movies written by Michel Audiard, as the dialogues are very funny and colorful; some of the vocabulary is quite colloquial and he uses some old slang, but it only adds to the value of the movies. The best one, I find, is Les Tontons Flingueurs; you might also want to see Touchez pas au Grisby, Les Barbouzes, Ne nous Fachons pas.

In a different style, you might want to check also movies with Bourvil, Fernandel, Gabin. Try: La traversée de Paris, la Vache et le Prisonnier, La grande Vadrouille.

These are all comédies, but if you go onto FNAC.com, and select any of the actors above, you will also find other types ( for example La bete humaine avec Gabin).

In the comedie section, but of a more recent time (70's), another series of classics are the movies with the Troupe du Splendid: Les Bronzés, les bronzés font du ski, le père Noel est une Ordure. These are all classics to any french person!

Other "incontournables" are the movies with Coluche (and if your French is good enough, try also watching his stand ups). Try: tchao pantin, le fou de guerre.

Finally, try these: La grande ilusion, quai des brumes, the trilogy Marius, Fanny, César; Tati movies (mon oncle, les vacances de Mr Hulot).

Hope this helps!

Good viewing!!

** My french missus wrote this post - I can barely follow the films, my favourites were probably the sking one and the santa one....

I have vivid memories of a film called (I think) Les Diables. About a woman and her lover who try to cause her husband to have a heart attack but he outwits them and they come off worst. A scary psycho thriller. Pat.

[quote]I have vivid memories of a film called (I think) Les Diables. About a woman and her lover who try to cause her husband to have a heart attack but he outwits them and they come off worst. A scary psych...[/quote]

Les Diables is a poor remake of the original 'Les Diaboliques' with Simone Signoret and Paul Meurisse.

He (Paul Meurisse) and his mistress (Simone Signoret) are in tandem to make his wife die... The swimming pool bit still gets me covered in goose pimples!

Black and white, atmospheric original film noir at its best!

My favorites :

Le boucher with Jean Yanne, Quai des Brumes and most films with Jean Gabin, the Marius&Fanny trilogy, Un long dimanche de fiançaille, Amélie, Borsalino (music is similar to The Sting type of music) Taxi (the first one-especially the ending! my kids are still talking about it and they are in their 20's! they often wish the whole town's traffic lights system would set itself green JUST for them!...) Les 400 coups and ALL the Truffault films, Mr Hulot and all Jacques Tati's films, La gloire de mon Père & Le chateau de ma Mère, Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources, Hotel du Nord with Arletty & Louis Jouvet, Les visiteurs (not so keen on the sequel),  films with Fernandel-now that is OLD!! the humour is what Brits would call slapstick, the films are fun if a little 'désuet' for today. Alain Delon (ooh! in his young days....) in Le Samourai, also in the french made equivalent of Mr Ripley- that one is the best, the hollywoodian remakes are nothing on it-sorry can't remember the french title of it......

Yes it was the original version that I saw but it was so long ago I can't remember much apart from the body presumed dead rising from the water. Pat. ps thanks for the website reference BJSLIV. It certainly was a long time ago! (1955).