renewing passport

Belle

Mine is due renewal in November and I am not sure if I can be bothered. I have no need to return to the UK and it is not needed to cross other European borders.

The only use that it has is as a form of identity but I am sure that I can use something else for that.

[quote user="Belle"]

Is it possible,does anyone know, to use an english cheque when renewing a passport, we are trying to go easy on our french bank account.

Thanks

Belle

[/quote]

Belle, we paid by sending them our credit card details.  If you print out the forms on line, be sure to print out the form for payment by credit card.

If you still have British credit cards, that will avoid going through your French bank account.

Legally you do not need a passport - it's hust a lot easier to prove nationality.

I got pulled by the cops in Spain last year and they were very unimpressed as I had no passport or identity card - beggars fined me 150 euros and insisted on Visa payment - Bonus it never appeared on my bill.

[quote user="Bob T"]and it is not needed to cross other European borders. [/quote]

Not true.  Unless you have dual (French) nationality and therefore have a French ID card, the only legal form of identity to travel throughout Europe for a British national is a UK passport.  A driving licence (for example, even a French one) is not acceptable.  See this link.

Also, if you had to return to the UK, you would have to have a UK passport.

[quote user="Belle"]Ok thanks for replys, we don't have any credit cards, so we will have to go to the bank and get a bankers cheque. We have an english debit card, but I suppose it has got to be a credit card has it.[/quote]

If it is a VISA or Mastercard debit card you can definitely use it to renew your passport. There may be some restrictions on Switch or Electron cards... but it is most likely that you can use your debit card to make this payment.

Not suggesting that anyone should rush out and build up debt[Www] but my son who has just spent some time travelling has realised how difficult it is to book trains hotels etc, without a credit card, however his income is well below the normal minimum income requirement of £20,000. He has found that Tesco do one with a minimum income requiement of £5,000, handy to have just for emergencies?

I'm a UK national but now resident in France and I managed to get a "titre de sejour" from the Prefecture. They said I didn't need it but weren't that unhappy issuing one. This was last year.

Does anyone know whether this counts as a valid European identity document? That's to say, for travel in the Schengen rules area?

The UK site previously referred to by Maricopa talks rather quaintly about "travelling to Europe" from the UK ("Fog in the Channel - Europe Cut Off"), and I'm sure that the UK passport people, sorry, "immigration control", would like to see a UK passport when you enter a UK port or airport (although I know that a few years ago it was absolutely NOT a legal requirement for a UK citizen to have one in order to enter the UK - passports were solely for the benefit of the travellers who carried them, and contained that impressive form of words directed at foreigners, not UK border police - possibly things have changed in this terrorism-obsessed 21st century).

In fact in a fit of absentmindedness about 10 years back I managed to get to Paris from the Eurostar station at Ashford without a passport, and no-one at all asked for it until an official on the train coming back. I then filled in a short standard form saying I'd left it behind, and I have very little doubt that the form was in the official wastepaper basket before I got home. Too much trouble to check (but then I was a short, bald, white, middle-aged man - not very high on the pre 9/11 terrorism profile I imagine).

My impression has always been that a titre de sejour is fine for Schengen countries, but not the UK.  I have heard anecdotal evidence (such as yours) of people getting away with being passport free when entering the UK, but everything I read suggests that a passport is obligatory.  I'd be glad to see this confirmed once and for all though, together with the correct legal evidence!

[quote user="Araucaria"]I'm a UK national but now resident in France and I managed to get a "titre de sejour" from the Prefecture. They said I didn't need it but weren't that unhappy issuing one. This was last year.

Does anyone know whether this counts as a valid European identity document? That's to say, for travel in the Schengen rules area?

[/quote]

No, a Carte de Sejour is not valid ID for travel outside France, only a UK passport for a british citizen or a French ID card (or Passport) for a French citizen.

IE, if you turned up for a flight with only a Carte de Sejour, you would be denied boarding for not having a valid form of ID.

Edit.  Interestingly, this says that if you had an ID check outside France, for example on the Spanish péage, then a Permis de Conduire (for instance) would suffice[8-)], but then says for expats that a valid passport or ID must be presented.  I still believe my statement above to be correct for international flights (and is absolutely true for Ryanair flights).

[quote user="Araucaria"]I'm a UK national but now resident in France and I managed to get a "titre de sejour" from the Prefecture.[...]

Does anyone know whether this counts as a valid European identity document? That's to say, for travel in the Schengen rules area?[/quote]

No it does not constitute a valid ID. That was made very clear to Mr Clair by the préfecture when he applied for his TdS.

[quote]http://europa.eu/abc/travel/doc/index_en.htm

When entering or leaving the EU at the external borders you will need a valid passport or an ID card.

It

is best to have your passport or ID card when travelling in the EU

because you may be required to prove your identity. If public order or

national security so require, checks at the internal borders may be

carried out for limited periods.[/quote]

Do it through the UK, you need someone to get a form for you (you can't download for UK applications)

I renewed mine by post via a UK address, and the new passport came within a week.

The passport cost £72 plus about £5 post, as opposed to 145€ plus 24€ delivery charge through the embassy in Paris (http://ukinfrance.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/passport-fees)

The application info says that it usually takes 2-3 weeks, maybe the quick turnaround is due to reduced demand as folk aren't renewing their passport unless they really need it straight away?

Unfortunately you have to declare on the UK form that you are actually in the UK when you sign it and that you are not making any false statements blah blah.......

We're in a quandry about what to do as both of our passports expire on the same day, and we've just realised how much we have to pay to renew them at the British Embassy. What a rip off!

We're caught between a rock and a hard place - jail or bankruptcy. Can't risk not renewing them...........

Zeb - I renewed mine in the UK, because I was going there for a wedding.

I made an appointment at the passport office (by telephone) for a same day renewal. The passport was ready to collect in 4 hours. I think it was £114, so worth looking into if you have a trip planned or can get a cheap flight.