Winter

Mr Coeur de Lion

We moved to the Loire Valley in October last year from Australia. This is our first winter in France. Is it normally this warm? I mean there's been a couple of chilly days, but we were expecting it to be really cold and we have found it to be the opposite. Some people have told us that the Loire is in a climate of its own. We have had a couple of snow falls here and the temps have been below freezing, but overall it has been quite pleasant. I come from England originally and lived in Oz for 8 years and my rememberance of winter is particularly bad. Is it me or is it just a very mild winter?

Hi

Hope you're enjoying everything.

It's nothing like as cold here (overall) as it was last two winters.

Its still cold at night, generally hovering around -1°C. This is colder than where I came from in England.

We had some bitterly cold weather around Christmas for about two weeks which was more like what we had previously for  6 weeks. It could still get very cold again.

[quote user="beryl"]It is my first winter in 29 and its been a little cool at night but certainly not miserable. I have not been affected by SAD which I normally get to some degree every winter thanks to the lovely blue skies that appear almost every day.[/quote]

I think the blue skies are the difference. Back in depressing England the winters I remember there were grey gloomy and wet. Australian winters were beautiful, 20 during the day zero at night but beautiful blues skies. The French winter this year has been like an Ausralian one but a little colder. Formidable!