Dog Shite

Wendy

Oh I do sympathise, what a terrible thing to have happen. I would like to see laws here similar to my homeland whereby rangers  regularly patrol parks, beaches, etc. Owners allowing their dogs to make a mess and make no attempt to clean it are instantly hit with an on the spot fine of $500.00. Also, unaccompanied dogs/strays are taken and impounded. If you dont tag your dog then you're unlikely to see it again.

These tough laws had to be brought in as the situation was very bad, especially on the beaches where folk would bury 'it' in the sand and then later on your child would find it while playing with their bucket and spade!. In these small villages this situation shouldn't have to go any further than a fine, but, I doubt the local gendarme would wish to be the ones to have to hand out the tickets and maybe nab a neighbour. I would volunteer for the job though if it mean't that someone in a wheelchair didn't have to worry.

Got lots of strange looks when we arrived taking out the dog for a walk with doggy bags in our hand ready to clean up after him. When we had to do the clean up we got even stranger looks but I guess they are use to us now.

Polycarpe - Do you remember the guy in Quillan who used to put little flags in them on the street and when possible took a photo of the dog and owner and put them up in his front window, don't know what happened to him coz you don't see it anymore.

[&]

I don't know the answer to this one other than it takes time for things to change.

I have lived in my suburb of Sydney for 30 years and when we first moved in, it was the fashion to have huge dogs mostly Afgan Hounds; go to work; open the front gate and leave them out all day until you return in the evening.  Our house has the only nature strip (strip of grass) and of course I spent everyday removing dog shit.

There was even a shop selling a Tshirt with "Balmain Dog Shit capitol of the world" on the front.

I am not sure why or when things began to improve.  Certainly after I threatened people with scooping it up and putting it outside their houses helped and the time I threatened the local real estate agency responsible for letting a house two doors up to tenants with two german shepherds, who were specifically bought down the street to the grass to perform every morning before they went to work. I told the real estate agency they either did something about it or I would put it on the doorstep of their shop.  "You can't do that" "Watch me".

In our suburb and all over Sydney there are now collection boxes in parks with plastic bags supplied and fewer and fewer dogs on the street, but as I say this has been a slow turn turnaround over 30 years.

It is now unlawful with a reasonably heavy fine to have a dog loose on the street, if picked up and no collar it is taken to the "dog pound", if walking a dog on a public footpath it must be on a lead.

The turnaround must have been a result of complaints from residents, parents using playgrounds, which are now mostly fenced off, to prevent dogs with or without owners, getting too close to the equipment to deposit their little parcels and also a general case of being more environmentally aware.

Attitude comes into play here too and there is a great Australian saying when decribing something difficult "it's like pushing shit up a hill with a stick" and I think the expression could well be applied to the current sistuation you are all talking about in France.  If everyone who is upset about it starts picking it up, like I did so many years ago, others in your village, hamlet might follow your trend and general awwareness builds that it is not environmentally friendly to leave it, and who knows in 30 years you too may be dog shit free.  I should be lucky  to live that long I hear you say. [:)]

Browsing through a book on old crafts in Limousin (in Carrefour -while waiting for the wife to finish in the hairdressers), I found a possible answer to the popularity of dog **** covered pavements. There used to be a metier of crottiers, who collected the ****, and sold it to tanners, where it was used in leather production. So, if anyone has been collecting old, fine leather goods, such as gloves and handbags, that's just a little thought for the day!

A little known fact is that the very early brasssiere makers used a mixture of (To use Dicks new found expression) Pure and water to make the business part of the garment adopt its conical shape, hence the expression "where there's muck there's bra's"

weedon