Bastille Day

Frederick

This year I will be at my place in July so was wondering where in the Vendee (85)  was the best place to be on Bastille Day to see the celebrations. I believe there will be a fireworks display at La Tranche sur Mer which is near to me ....does anybody know what else is going on .

Both of you need to go to the local tourist office and they should have a calendar of festivities. If not the many small commerces, or supermarkets, should have posters about it... Also on the public notice board at the Mairie.

In La Tranche-sur-Mer the firework is pretty good. If not go to Les sables d'Olonnes. I remember going there when a wee lass with my parents and it is one of the best fireworks displays I have seen. Or la rochelle but that's quite a drive for you from top of Vendée.

Though bear in mind that many municipalities may have cancel the fireworks due to harsh dry conditions and don't want to stretch their local pompiers too much.

Sorry don't know the area round St Hilaire du Harcouet/Mortain.

You should try Carcassonne!!!!! This year is a DOUBLE WHAMMIEY... The Tour de France arives on the 14th and then they burn the Old Cité in the evening. Last year there were upwards of 100.000 bodies to watch the burning. What a display!! This year the sky will be comming down to watch too......[:-))] [:-))][8-|].

Last year the last 6 seconds of the firework display had several thousand fireworks go for a crescendo. What a finish and I managed to get the lot on video, wow!

Typical of the French though, you know, don't do today what you can do tomorrow. Well they went too far this time when they put off my birthday celibrations for a day. It should have been on the 13th [:'(] specially for my 21st?

John (miffed by the 24 hour delay??)

Hi jonzjob- sorry about the birthday celebrations maybe they'll get it right this year!! but just in case they don't I would be really interested in seeing the bastille/tour celebrations on the 14th. I know this has been mentioned somewhere on an old thread but I dont recall any definite reply- where is a good place to view the action from, is it better to stay well  away from the citadel and view events from afar and if so where would be a good vantage point- I would be coming from the Lezignan direction.

Last year was our first here for the 14th and we struck lucky. You will be coming in on the N113 or the autoroute. Unless you are VERY early, like lunch time, I would suspect that it will be very difficult to get anywhere near the town. Last year the bridge at the end of the N113 going into Carcassonne was chockker with people. We pushed on round the police road blocks, they redirected the traffic and we followed, and went to the other end of the town and found a parking place about a 10 min walk from the river. We were very lucky and had a good place just 15 or so mins before the start of the display. We were directly in front of the 3 Crowns Hotel by the Pont Vieu. Very tight packed and very well behaved too. Just like a normal English football crowd? Wonderful night. Some of our friends took well over an hour to get back home 15 mins away.

If it all works out this year we will be back with visiting friends and his birthday is on the 15th. It should be a good 3 daze!!!

Good luck,

John.