Smokin'

Just Katie

A mate of mine made me laugh whilst in Nice Airport the other day.  He stared down to the smoking corner and grinned to himself at about five uniformed airport officials enjoying a smoke together.

When I asked him what he was grinning at he shook his head and laughed.

"Can you imagine these French putting up with the smoking ban.  Everybody smokes.  In fact, I reckon they would bring back the guilotine for the guy who administers it"

I have to disagree because I have yet to meet a smoker who disagrees with it.  But wouldn't it be great if France had another revolution?

But wouldn't it be great if France had another revolution?

Yes! I would love to go back to England with my diamonds sewn into the turn ups of my jeans and my cat disguised as a dwarf donkey![:D]

Re the smoking thing. None of the older people I know smoke. Not a single one,but no one batted an eye when a 10 year old nicked a couple off someone last year on Bastille Day.

Bon soir madame Katie

Non j' ne pas fumee

Merci pour le ........oh I can't speak or write in French, sorry had my first French lesson today.

No I don't smoke, used to, but gave up, oh about 14 years ago.  Was only 21 then, no honest, but had been chuffing since I was, erm 15, or 14, something like that.

gave up smoking 21 weeks ago. Do i feel any better no. I have put 2 and a half stone on (now look like beached whale). Mind you was naughty last night, neighbours came round, had lots to drink, one of them went outside for cig, i went with him and sneeked one, oh it was so nice, it was like coming home, but shhh dont tell my hubby [Www]

[quote user="egger"]gave up smoking 21 weeks ago. Do i feel any better no. I have put 2 and a half stone on (now look like beached whale). Mind you was naughty last night, neighbours came round, had lots to drink, one of them went outside for cig, i went with him and sneeked one, oh it was so nice, it was like coming home, but shhh dont tell my hubby [Www][/quote]

Egger!!!!!!!!Don't put bad ideas in our heads.  I gave up about 10 years ago from more than 60 a day and have not had even a puff since.  I have put on at least 2 and a half stone and reading your post I found myself wondering[6] if I could just sneak a packet for myself.  Then I realised that it is doubtful if the average pensioner could possibly manage to afford to smoke these days and I just know that one cigarette and I would be back on my 60 a day in no time.  Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Oh well, can still afford wine.[;-)]

Anne

Sorry, sorry, i was very drunk. If it makes you feel any better, i tried it again yesterday, one drag [+o(], it was vile, glad i packed in. Even getting to like my big fat belly, you can sort of rest your arms on it when sitting [;-)]

• 2 months later...
I don't know why it is that everyone seems to think French smoke more than the English (myself included!) - perhaps it is that they do it more openly (less socially unacceptable than in the UK??) but the figures I saw were that 26% of UK residents (aged 15 or over) smoke and 27% of French residents smoke - so really very little difference between the two.  (Figures from the WHO-2004)

Matt

These stats worry me. I mean have you ever heard of a smoker giving an honest answer to their doctor when asked how many a day they smoke? I can't see how the people who come up with these figures really know. You can't base it on how many packets are sold because where I live everyone goes to Spain to buy their fags and bring back 10,000 at a time. Further west they go to Andorra and bring loads back at the risk of being caught. I don't think apart from a census of the whole country (and then its marginal if some will admit it) you will ever really know how many actually smoke.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Just Katie "]

I have to disagree because I have yet to meet a smoker who disagrees with it.

[/quote]Well, here's one.  One of the things I love about France is that I'm not treated like a leper here. [/quote]

YET!