A social no-no?

Collywobble

[quote user="Patmobile"]Apparently, when quite new in the Prime Ministerial job, Tony Blair asked a charming, and somehow familiar-looking lady, whom he met at reception at a European summit  of some kind, what job she was now doing.

"Oh, I'm still the Queen of the Netherlands", she replied, offering him some cocktail nibbles from a dish she was circulating with.

Moral:  Don't ask - it could be someone whose job you really ought to know already.

Patrick

[/quote]

ROFL

Tones of Jim Hacker in that one.[:)]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Patmobile"]Apparently, when quite new in the Prime Ministerial job, Tony Blair asked a charming, and somehow familiar-looking lady, whom he met at reception at a European summit  of some kind, what job she was now doing.

"Oh, I'm still the Queen of the Netherlands", she replied, offering him some cocktail nibbles from a dish she was circulating with.

Moral:  Don't ask - it could be someone whose job you really ought to know already.

Patrick

[/quote]

That is so funny.

Patrick

[/quote]

Advisers are now ...... not!

The French in our ville must be something of an anomaly.  Nearly every French person we've met there has asked my husband's occupation and mine.  There seems to be an assumption that most women will have worked, to the extent that DH has (for some inexplicable reason) invented a career for me from which I've "retired". 

It also seems to be the custom in our ville to ask how much one has paid for something (car, house, whatever)- something our friends never do in the US (don't believe that everything you hear about Americans applies to all of us).  And we're often asked to compare prices/cost of living between France and the US.

No one has asked our income yet, but I'm growing quite skillful at parrying questions.

I went through all this yet again, the other day at a village 'do'.

I've previously told people about our financial status, and thought they would 'pass it on', but no. I had to go throught the whole thing again.

I'm very disappointed in our Postie. Why can't he tell everyone I don't get any letters from whoever doles out benefits?

I thought that was one of the things about a small community; that everyone knew your business?[:D]

[quote user="Tresco"] 

I thought that was one of the things about a small community; that everyone knew your business?[:D]

[/quote]

A friend of ours decided to move back to a larger town and away from her tiny adopted village near Dumfries, when one afternoon upon returning from a (very) short walk to the local SPAR, a neighbour stopped her as she passed the womans garden gate and asked "What did you buy the bacon for?"  She actually found it quite spooky that she and her shopping habits, had presumably been the subject of a phone call within seconds of leaving the shop.[blink]