Chatted up

Geranium

Today I was approached in Intermarche by a handsome and smartly dressed man, and was very obviously asked if he and I could get together!  Last time it was in LeClerc.  This never happened in Waitrose but I need some help!

Can someone tell me what the french is for something like "thank you but I am very happily married"?  though maybe I could say "that's very nice of you but can you join the queue please?"

I don't want to appear ungracious, shocked or sanctimonious as it is of course very flattering but I need a nice way of saying a firm no"! 

[quote user="Geranium"]Today I was approached in Intermarche by a handsome and smartly dressed man, and was very obviously asked if he and I could get together!  Last time it was in LeClerc.  This never happened in Waitrose but I need some help!

[/quote]

And which Intermarche was this?[Www][:P]

Chipie

Merci, mais je suis mariee (with accent) -

demandez-moi encore dans dix ans svp

Or perhaps not the last bit, too cynical.

Actually I got chatted up by a "very nice young man" (a very young man) in a shop as well.  I was so shocked I could not speak he was so gorgeous.  Mais je suis mariee.[:(] Perhaps they think we are "en vacances"!!

Georgina[:D]

Show them your finger!

The one with the wedding ring on of course[:P]

If he continues to hassle you say "Mon mari se trouve juste la bas dans le rayon charcuterie" (My husband is over there in the cold cuts section).   Some of them may be adulturous TU - but they aren't very brave[:D]

Maybe change cold cuts section to fruit and veg section - he might take it the wrong way.

I did a lot of reading about life in France before we moved here and most of the books hinted at or bluntly expressed an undercurrent of you know what. Until now I was thinking it was just titillation apart from those adverts you see in the local papers. And the old men who chat me up in the diy place which sells draft wine. (I'm only there for the diy.) But now I think maybe there's something to it. Pat.

I'll let you know if some young lady tries to chat me up (no problem - my wife wouldn't believe it), although one young shop assistant last year did seem to have a distinct twinkle in her eye (and made me chuckle) when she asked if I wanted to try the abricot she was handing out  ...

[quote user="Teamedup"]

Did this happen to you two in the UK or not?

I have heard of women in France, especially english women getting unwanted attention. I don't think that the film 'A nous les Petites Anglaises'  helped. 

[/quote]

I never get unwanted attention  [;-)]

Well Teamed up, in this weather I was hardly wearing anything flimsy or revealing and I wasn't suggestively lounging against the freezers.  How is one supposed to behave in a supermarket?  Oh and I'm in the Tarn, that well known region of immoral shannigans and loose english women.  Yes I could say I'm married and wave my wedding ring around but I too suspect this doesn't count for much.

How do I say I'm happily married? Is it "Je suis tres heureuse avec mon marie?".  That makes it sounds as though I'm satisfied with his performance (which I am of course but that's not quite what I'm trying to say!). I'm not quite sure that the phrase "my husband makes me very happy" is wanted either.

I can cope with the compliment - it's the french that perplexing me!

I got told by a neighbour that the local butcher 'had my ticket'.  Thinking this was some uniquely French administrative process peculiar to buying meat, or that I perhaps still owed the butcher some money I enquired further and was told he had been asking lots of questions re name marital status etc...

On announcing to my other half that he had better look to his laurels - his response was that he hoped that meant we'd get some decent sausage next time we visited.  My dad laughed out loud and now insists on calling me Mrs Fox (re Dad's Army).  My best friend advised that I had fallen on my feet and that we had to be pragmatic when we got older - and a good butcher is a very useful admirer to have...

Kathie

I am sending this to warn you of something that happened to me, as I have fallen victim to a very clever scam whilst out shopping. This happened to me at Cactus Howald (big Hypermarket in Luxembourg) , and it could happen to you also if you are not extremely careful!

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 18-year-old French girls come over to your car while you are putting your shopping bags in the boot. They both start wiping your windscreen with a rag and Windolene, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy t-shirts. It is impossible not to look. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead ask you for a ride to Belle Etoile Shopping Centre (about 5 kns away).   It is really impossible not to agree, and so they get in the back seat. On the way, they start having sex with each other. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and performs oral sex on you, while the other one steals your wallet. I had my wallet stolen last Friday, Saturday, twice on Sunday, again on Tuesday, and also this morning.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I am sending this to warn you of something that happened to me, as I have fallen victim to a very clever scam whilst out shopping. This happened to me at Cactus Howald (big Hypermarket in Luxembourg) , and it could happen to you also if you are not extremely careful!

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 18-year-old French girls come over to your car while you are putting your shopping bags in the boot. They both start wiping your windscreen with a rag and Windolene, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy t-shirts. It is impossible not to look. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead ask you for a ride to Belle Etoile Shopping Centre (about 5 kns away).   It is really impossible not to agree, and so they get in the back seat. On the way, they start having sex with each other. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and performs oral sex on you, while the other one steals your wallet. I had my wallet stolen last Friday, Saturday, twice on Sunday, again on Tuesday, and also this morning.

[/quote]

I think you may have been dreaming Pierre!

TU, it was here in LBF where I was chatted up at the carwash.  I've just remembered I was also chatted up at the village 14 juillet Bal a couple of years ago. I got asked to dance when I was sitting right next the the OH (I did dance with him then made a swift exit).

Kathie (Hastobe) - It is you who"have a ticket with him" (meaning he fancies you).

(Avoir un ticket avec quelqu'un) that's the expression. You would say "J'ai un ticket avec le boucher".

I love it when expressions get mixed-up[:D]

Somebody I know thought that a "porte-parole" (spokesperson) is the receptionist at the door.[:D]

This is all hilarious.  I have a friend in a nearby village that seems to be chatted up on a regular basis (at least according to her).  Never seems to happen to me.  I'm not sure what that says about me or about her.  Maybe I should change my shopping attire.....

[quote user="5-element"]

Kathie (Hastobe) - It is you who"have a ticket with him" (meaning he fancies you).

(Avoir un ticket avec quelqu'un) that's the expression. You would say "J'ai un ticket avec le boucher".

I love it when expressions get mixed-up[:D]

[/quote]

Thank you for explaining!.  My french neighbour was most confused when

I started to ask her if that meant I still owed the butcher some

money!!

Some expressions just don't translate LOL

Kathie