French surnames

Loiseau

I am beginning to suspect that the site can't be right. There are 562 of my married surname and all in the same department, and about the same number with my French farmer neighbour's surname and again all the same department but not the one they are located .

There are 941 people in France with my husband's surname (and all of them seem to live in Brittany-they're probably cousins) But there are 2,724 people with my English surname.

When we got married I chose to take his surname thinking that French people would recognize it and I wouldn't have to spend my time spelling it.....

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Loiseau"]

I just came across this extraordinary website on French surnames when searching for something on the internet!

You can either type in a name and it tells you how popular it is generally, or click on a departement and it will list the names therein by order of popularity...

Angela

[/quote]

Does anyone know of an equivalent site for German surnames?

I might do some research on this with my neighbours. I thought their name sounded as if it should be quite common but, according to the website, there are fewer than 20 with their surname in the whole of the Allier dept.

I know 4 families with the name in my small village and as I am always bumping into one or other of them, I may have been misled into believing they were everywhere! I'm curious now about how many relatives they know in Allier with their name.

Only 260 of me - and it's common in France, being the name of a large French company (and is written on the front of many TV sets and other household appliances). Probably because of that the French always spell it correctly, wheras the English invariably add an extra letter in the middle, which is the more common / less select spelling there.

Interesting to see that Smith is 979th, yet Schmitt is 68th.

For what it's worth, the 5 most common surnames amongst last Saturday's French rugby team were:

Marty 27,000, Clerc 14,000, Ibanez 5,700, Vermeulen 3,600 and Nallet 1,600.

A surprisingly large number of Vermeulens? If Harinordoquy had played instead, the result would have been much different!