clothes sizes.

Patf

This has been discussed before but ages ago. Does anyone know how french bra sizes compare with UK? I thought it was just conversion of inches to centimetres but I think it's more complicated. Also shoe sizes eg what is the equivalent of the UK adult size 6? And clothes -  what does it mean; 42, 44, 46 etc. Hope someone knows. Pat.

Size 6 shoes - 39

42, 44, 46  - 14, 16, 18   Beware though -  if you're a size 14 in Britain then you'll generally need to get a 16 or 44 here in France.  Smaller sizes here - and that's not Sharon from the Royle family gibberish, they really are and the same goes for childrens clothes.

As for bras I think 36inch is 95 here.  Their cup sizes are still A,B,C,D etc but they do seem to hold less than they do in Britain[:)] If you're a B cup normally then go for a C.

Good job Mickys still in Benidorm!!! 

Plenty of help available if you google "'clothing size conversion" or "shoe size conversion"

Here is one I helped devise when I worked in that line:

Bra Size Guide

BAND SIZE 
UK

USA

Euro

French Italian Australian
32 32 70 85 1 10
34 34 75 90 2 12
36 36 80 95 3 14
38 38 85 100 4 16
40 40 90 105 5 18
42 42 95 110 6 20
44 44 100 115 7  
46 46 105 120 8  

I've been buying clothes in France for 18 years for myself and 8 years for my daughter.  When I go back to Britain I have to try clothes on before buying them because they are bigger than the equivalent sizes in France. 

Has anybody else noticed this - or do you prefer to buy your clothes in Britain?

I've noticed that the sizes here tend to run small.  I feel huge buying a 42, just seems enormous and is almost always too big in the waist.  If I shop at Liz Claiborne, I buy an 8.  I find an enormous difference in French sizes to American sizes - even to British clothes I have bought.  And yes, the pants are always too long here.

As to bra sizes.  I don't think I have EVER found a French bra that fits really well.  I seem to have thrown away hundreds of euros for bras that I am never really happy with.  I have recently ordered from Victoria Secret - yes I know I may be crazy - but their all cotton, unlined bras fit to a T and the straps don't fall down !  I just love them.  En plus, they were on sale two for 30 dollars when I bought them.  Will be ordering more - they ship to France.

I find that most American women (mind you I said most) find sizing here a challenge.

The sizing that confuses me is the 1-5 system. I usually give up and ask for help. I have also stopped bothering about the size as detailed on the label - if it fits it fits!

I admit to being one of those women who wore the wrong bra size for years. I went into a shop as a 38DD and came out as a 36FF having had a proper fitting. I now order the replacements from figleaves.

Cut, yes, my husband and youngest son do not like french trousers, they say that there is not enough room in the crotch. The last pair my husband bought that fit were an italian designer make, he didn't want the make but had a happy smile on his face when he put them on and found comfort instead of nipping.

Bras, all my life I have had trouble getting them to fit. When I was small, only triumph would fit. Now I end up trying on lots over months and always buy those that fit. I even have a couple that don't in my wardrobe at the moment that I wear as I couldn't get any better.

Clothes are a different thing for me altogether. Always a typical pear shape, I was always a size smaller on the top than the hips. I buy them when I find them that I like and that fit. Could be France, could be anywhere really. I always try them on. Germany I have found  has the most generous sizing. I went out the other day and I had on, a skirt from Holland, boots, bra and jumper from England, coat from Switzerland and handbag from Italy and knickers from France, not sure where the tights were from. My whole wardrobe is eclectic.

I'm like Lori, I buy my bras from the U.S. (LOVE Moving Comfort!) because they fit me better.  My biggest problem here is my shoulders.  They don't fit French tops, even if the rest of the shirt is right.  I'm also taller than most French women, so that can also be a problem.

I HATE the cropped leg pants that everyone around here wears!  That is just not a flattering look on anyone.

PG

What has been hinted at here - that French, UK and British clothes are cut to different shapes and proportions - is true.  The British standard measurements were revised not long ago - within the last 5 years, I think - having previously been based on measurements taken of British women in the 1950's.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

As for bras I think 36inch is 95 here.  Their cup sizes are still A,B,C,D etc but they do seem to hold less than they do in Britain[/quote]

Sorry Twinks but that statement just made me spill my tea.....................[:D][:D]

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="TWINKLE"]

As for bras I think 36inch is 95 here.  Their cup sizes are still A,B,C,D etc but they do seem to hold less than they do in Britain[/quote]

Sorry Twinks but that statement just made me spill my tea.....................[:D][:D]

[/quote]

What, not enough room in your cup ??? [:D]

[quote user="Cassis"]What has been hinted at here - that French, UK and British clothes are cut to different shapes and proportions - is true.  The British standard measurements were revised not long ago - within the last 5 years, I think - having previously been based on measurements taken of British women in the 1950's.
[/quote]

France did the same sort of measuring about a year ago. But so far the clothes sizes don't seem to have changed. I used to be a size 10 in the UK and a 38 here. I'm still a 38, but recently I find that I often have to get the size 8 in the UK. I haven't lost weight (in fact I've gained)

I agree with the comments about clothes being cut differently. I have narrow shoulders and wide (let's call them "childbearing") hips. French women generally seem to be broader in the shoulder and have no differnce between their waist and hips so clothes here are made for them. I cope with tops because I like them quite loose, but I tend to buy my trousers in the UK.

An easy pense-bête for shoes sizes (adult) Just take 33 off the french size and you've got the UK size.

I read an article about french women's morphology and it said that french women were andro rather than gynae these days. Simply their waists are thickening and hips narrower and are more boy like than woman like.

I'm definitely gynae. I was shocked years ago when my french neighbour, lost lots and lots of weight, she had next to no bottom at the end of the diet, just like a lot of the women in this area, their bottoms are sort of flat rather than gently rounded. I'm getting in deep water here as I don't know how to explain all this.

All my years in the UK, I always had a lot of problems buying trousers and jeans that fit, especially Next, M& S. They were always much too high-waisted, the waistline coming somewhere between my waist and my breasts. Gap were the only ones I could wear, sometimes Etam and Dorothy Perkins, and otherwise I had to wait until I got to France to buy comfortable jeans the right cut for me (French-shaped (!) i.e. square shoulders, small-ish waist but definitely NO flat bottom!!!. It's funny what you noticed Teamed Up, as I have found on the contrary, that flat-bottomed is not the usual French shape. Well, in la France Profonde, we do have more than our fair share of larger ladies, barrel-shaped, big-bosomed and with thin legs.. maybe those are the ones you mean.

As for bras and swimsuits, they are such a nightmare to buy (sweaty fitting rooms, getting all tangled up and feeling more like a Matisse than a Modigliani), that I can't even remember last time I tried. Usually if I find one that fits I buy them in sets of 3 if I can afford to - it saves on the torture of having to go through it all again.

That's how I buy bras, 5-element. I found a comfy one that fit well in a cheapo shop on Tonbridge High St. last time I was over. They were only £3 and I bought 4. But I still hanker after the seethrough lacy ones you see in the markets and Champion etc - sorry guys but you shouldn't be reading this. I did buy one like that which I thought would fit and found it was more for a little girl so no good at all. The only asnswer is to try them on which as you say is not a pleasant experience. Especially not in the market! I now think I understand shoe sizes thanks to you all. Pat.