Why do they do that?

Chancer

I have just been to the cinema tonight for about the third time in France, what intrigues me is that at the end of the film the vast majority of the audience remain in their seats until after the very last of the credits, copyright notices etc.

The film tonight was VOST "version originale sub-titree" of I think scandalous affair with Judy Dench and Cate Blanchett so most of the audience would not have been able to read the credits. I know this because I embarrassed myself by laughing out loud when Cate Blanchett (the teacher) recieved a texto from her pupil saying "wish I woz F*****g you blind right now!" no-one else seemed to have understood it and I got some funny stares!

So is it polite to remain in the seats? Or are we the strange ones used to rushing to catch last orders?

My husband (French) always stays in his seat until the end. I didn't use to mind, in fact it seemed logical to me too. But as credits now seem to be as long as the film itself it gets a bit boring. In fact he is annoyed by the fact that (as far as he is concerned) most French people now leave as soon as the film ends which they didn't use to do.

Why? I think there are three main reasons, (1)To watch the film in its totality (and that includes the credits) (2)French people take the cinema (le 7eme Art) very seriously so they want all the details, including who made the tea for the stunt men on Tuesdays.  (3)Because sometimes there are little bonuses at the end for those who have stayed to watch.

Strangely enough, they nearly always cut the credits when they show a film on french telelvision.

I actually like to read the credits - mainly because I am trying frantically to remember the name of the actor who played......whoever.....and it really annoys me that people start to stand and obscure the screen almost as soon as the final notes of the soundtrack start.  [:@]

I also find it annoying that the credits on films on television are either non-existent or scroll so fast they are impossible to read.  There was a letter in one of the broadsheets a few months ago from Equity or similar union complaining on this issue as they felt their members weren't getting the recognition they deserved.

Well, I never thought I was particularly strange but I've ALWAYS sat right to the end of the credits, in the UK and in France, or wherever. I think I do it because it gives you a few minutes to think about the film, take in the ending, before having to jump up and come back to reality and fight your way to the loo, the car park, or the bus.

It's also interesting sometimes to find out the location or music that was used.

Oh dear do I sound like a nerd??!!

Lou

Yep.....over here they do seem to wait to watch the credits.

Actually it really used to bug me in the UK, people leaping out of their seat the very second the film finished. I used to stay put just to be annoying!! But Lou you're right it is nice to have a moment to absorb the film, and also i feel the music played with the credits is part of the film. I HATE it on TV after a film when they squash the screen and do a voice over telling you what's on next.

[quote user="Lou"]Well, I never thought I was particularly strange but I've ALWAYS sat right to the end of the credits, in the UK and in France, or wherever. I think I do it because it gives you a few minutes to think about the film, take in the ending, before having to jump up and come back to reality and fight your way to the loo, the car park, or the bus.
It's also interesting sometimes to find out the location or music that was used.
Oh dear do I sound like a nerd??!!
Lou
[/quote]

Thats two of us then[Www]

Chipie

Back before the credits listed of  'Best Boy's Best Freind'  they were interesting. For instance Don Seigal who directed several of the best Clint Eastwood films was montage director on  'Casablanca' and also directed 'The Shootist' which begins with a montage of about half a dozen of JohnWayne's films.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Back before the credits listed of  'Best Boy's Best Freind'  they were interesting. For instance Don Seigal who directed several of the best Clint Eastwood films was montage director on  'Casablanca' and also directed 'The Shootist' which begins with a montage of about half a dozen of JohnWayne's films.[/quote]

That's a rather impressive bit of filmography.  Being a Philistine, I only watch the credits when I want to find out the name of an actor or want to see the music credits.

I always thought that French TV shows far more of the credits than does UK TV. TPS/ Canal Sat certainly give the full works.

They certainly don't indulge in the particularly irritating habit of ITV which is to show the abbreviated credits, at double speed, on half the screen while the a promoting the next programme.

I particularly enjoy looking at the credits , including French made for TV productions, to see where the film was made.

Sorry folks but, at the risk of being shot down in flames, I do think there are some ahermmm 'boring' folks here - enjoying watching film credits.  Maybe that's why some peeple find it easier to settle in rural France - they have far higher boredom thresholds than me. 

Ps: I think the comment about the lack of credit given to more junior staff is very valid and will mention it at work - see if we can get our headed paper changed to reflect the secretary's and the cleaner's names as well as those of the partners.....[;-)]

Kathie

Colour me boring![:D]

I like to find out about the (musical) score and songs played during a film... Once I get out of the cinema (or go to bed if at home!) I tend to forget about it. if I read it on the screen I know what to look for if I want to get it...

Of course, now there's the 'toile' to look for those details...

One of the reasons that film credits are now so long is that for some areas of film making, the credits are an essential part of the CV.  A few years ago I was at a BFI 'do' and a film person was explaining to me that the various assistants in film making need a specific number of credits to (a) get promoted and (b) show to the world that they worked on the film.

But the best boy's best friend, apprentice carpenter, my auntie, our dog's vet stuff is going a bit ott.

And we visit the cinema at least once every two weeks - for some films we sit through the credits, usually for details of the music or because I can't remember the name of the third actor from the left in scene 27, the one who was in the obscure film made by Ken Loach in 1992, that sort of thing.

• 5 weeks later...

J.R., the only time I have ever seen an entire cinema audience remain seated right throughout the complete final closing credits of a film was at a screening of the movie 'Amadeus' in Sydney in 1985.

The credits, for some length,  rolled to the accompaniment of Mozarts sublime Piano Concerto in D Minor K466 (2nd movement). The film, of course, was based on the life of Mozart.

How could anyone get up and walk out on such divine music?. Even though the credits were so long?.

Not one person in that theatre moved an inch until the last note ended and the last word was gone from the screen, not one person. I'll never forget it. Such respect.

The French are cinephiles. Many like to watch the credits because they are interested in different directors, cameramen, etc. The rest stay in their seats out of courtesy. Didn't you know that the French are both more cultured and more polite than we are?

RIK

I never used to watch the credits until a friend made me stay to the end of one film (Toy Story I think) and you got unexpected 'Outtakes' at the very end.  There were only 6 of us left in the cinema by this time but it was well worth it.  Since then I have always stayed and sometimes been delighted by an 'extra'