Must be costing a fortune but its worth it !

Frederick

I dont know of other areas of France but in the Vendee there seems to be under way a big project to get the mess of cables that are strung out over  villages under ground...I have noticed the  changes to a village the removal of the tapered concrete poles and all the wires has made.. together with the introduction of globe street lights . and the result looks great....It must be at huge  expense.....but I think worth it as you can see the efforts people have made to smarted up their houses afterwards ....There seems to be a sudden interest in painting houses and front walls .... in flower boxes ..It seems to have introduced a will to show  pride in villages . Being  towards the edge of our village I still have concrete poles in my street ...with 12 cables and street lamps on them..... The one outside by gates provides wires as perch for the birds to cr*p on them and the mail box  .. so ...I will be pleased to see the poles and wires  go ......or does someone think this is what makes France look different and wants to see them stay ?

Many communes around us are doing this too,  primarily to avoid damage to telephone or electricity cables brought on by snow or prolonged spells of heavy frost and therefore to help reduce the extended cut-off periods

The aesthetic aspect is of secondary, although welcome, importance [:)]

Our village is currently undergoing such a face-lift.  A few months ago all the underground cabling was done and they are currently taking down the horrid concrete poles and cables and replacing the streetlamps with lovely lantern style lamps.  This is part of a larger longterm project to completely revamp the bourg.

Yep, ours is being done as we speak - not bad for a commune of 170 inhabitants! Also worth mentioning that burying lines underground makes them less susceptible to lightning stikes as well as the other reasons stated.

On top of that, during the amelioration of our village Bourg I've had to re-roof a pretty cottage on the side of the main road that passes through our Bourg as our Maire has kindly asked the owner to do it as the slates keep falling onto the road as cars went by ! Then  I was asked by our Maire to build a new bus shelter in stone and wood in the village to replace the old tin one, and whilst I've been working on that, TWO more residents have come up to me to ask me to re-point the front of their houses. Funny thing is they wouldn't have had the work done if the lines hadn't had been buried and the road smartened up!  Vive l'amelioration des bourgs Francais !!

Paul