Shopping between Christmas and New Year

Helen

Can anyone tell me whether it's business as usual between Christmas and new year or whether everything closes down.  I'm thinking particularly of shops - both small local ones and larger supermarkets.  We will be in southern Normandy and want to know whether we will be able to buy food and DIY materials (some Christmas break!) or whether we should bring things with us.

Thanks

Helen

Hi. Shops will be open for business as usual apart from the two bank holidays,(Christmas Day and New Years Day) The sales don't start here until mid-January, so there is no shopping frenzy between the two holidays.  Some smaller shops may close due to family holidays, but you should have no problem with getting provisions. Joy

[quote user="Joy1"]there is no shopping frenzy between the two holidays.

[/quote]

Apart from food for the New Year's festivities.  Auchan, for example, in the few days running up to the 31st are completely manic and to be avoided at all costs if you want to keep your sanity.

• 2 weeks later...

We too are going to be in France this year for Christmas (first time)and my worry is that as Christmas eve is on a Monday, (shops usually close on Mondays) will this still happen as it's the day before Christmas? We will only arrive Saturday afternoon, next day is Sunday, so shops will also be closed. I'm just not sure what to bring with us - foodwise that is.

Carole

This is how it works in north 46

Supermarkets will be open on the Saturday you arrive, probably until 19.15 or so, so you will have an instant opportunity to spend your money. They will then be open on Monday and Wednesday. Gosh Carole, how much food do you need ?

John

not