Evening with friends and neighbours

Rose

Hello all - I'm thinking of inviting our neighbours and a few new friends over for an evening.  I would prefer not to go the 'dinner' route (mainly because we are limnited on space until we've finished the refurbishment) but I'm very happy to provide finger/fork food that people can nibble on whilst chatting and drinking.  If I were in the UK I'd know exactly what to do but I'm not sure what my new French friends would expect as normal... Any ideas or suggestions as to what I should do? [:$]

Also, is it more correct to write to them all with an invitation or would this be too formal? [:)]

Hi Katie (and Leo)... oddly enough I never really thought of doing that!  I used to love having friends around to our house in the UK and every few months I would invite them all around for the evening... After 6 months in France I've been feeling it's about time I did a bit of entertaining and thought it would be a good way of saying hello to all our new friends and neighbours... any excuse for a bit of a party...[B]  thanks for the tip![:D]

p.s. are you still planning to move?

Rose, in my limited experience people here eat certain things at certain times. They also drink certain drinks at certain times.

What to us is 'a bit of a party' can confuse and bewilder people who don't understand what they're in for.

I'm not saying don't do it, but try and let them know it may not be quite what they're used to?

So, Katie this is the first public mention of your impending crowning as the LF Queen of Paris. See, I keep my eye on you.[:)]

[quote user="Tresco"]Rose, in my limited experience people here eat certain things at certain times. They also drink certain drinks at certain times.

What to us is 'a bit of a party' can confuse and bewilder people who don't understand what they're in for.

I'm not saying don't do it, but try and let them know it may not be quite what they're used to?

So, Katie this is the first public mention of your impending crowning as the LF Queen of Paris. See, I keep my eye on you.[:)]
[/quote]

ah... thanks Tresco... perhaps I need to do a bit more research... any other tips welcome... [8-)]

I'm afraid I cheated (well, it was Christmas and I didn't want to do everything myself).  I paid a caterer, specifying numbers and that it was to be aperos only.

The caterer made some fab bits (couldn't tell you what they were called), all savoury, about 4 different types.  I also served olives (which seemed very popular but be sure to leave out bowls for the stones). 

The French were great, all came on time bringing super little prezzies and all left after about 2 hours.  The Brits, of course, stayed on rather longer .  Nice thing was we did get several invitations back as a result.

It was the most tremendous fun and I plan to do it again when my outdoor sitting out area is finished.  I made sure the drinks and nibbles were really good and what I would have enjoyed myself and so, of course, all the guests enjoyed them as well.  

Dont worry Tresco... It takes more than that to dampen the old spirits... it's only because it will be the first one and I am keen to invite all our French neighbours that I want to get things right... I welcome the advice... honest!!

Sweet... sounds like your night was a great success! [B]

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Rose"]...ah... thanks Tresco... perhaps I need to do a bit more research... any other tips welcome... [8-)][/quote]

Oh! Please don't be put off by what I've said Rose. I feel terrible now!
[/quote]

Feeling a bit sensitive today girl?  Well I think that the advice you have given is sound.  People know me for being a bit strange.  I think they like that about me though.  I have been told it is an aquarian thing.

In our area it appears to be very common to go to a neighbours for aperos. We have been invited by our French neighbours for aperos on a number of occasions and we have reciprocated. We have done it at all times of the year including the Christmas season but I think the best is in summer, outside with anti pasta and assorted other nibbles that seem to go down well. We once were invited to neighbours for cake and champagne with some of our other neighbours at around 4pm in the afternoon. It was lovely.[:)]

Katie, you strange?  Surely not.  But you do occasionally keep strange company!  Twinks, I don't mean you are strange in a nasty way, just endearingly "strange" perhaps.  Anyway, where are you?

Rose, I do know what you mean.  I was a bag of anxiety, wanting to get the first one right.  After that, the second one was a cinch and it was just so nice to have people round and it made me feel so happy to be surrounded by my friends and neighbours.  Definitely go for it!

[quote user="Just Katie"]Feeling a bit sensitive today girl?  Well I think that the advice you have given is sound.  People know me for being a bit strange.  I think they like that about me though.  I have been told it is an aquarian thing.[/quote]

I think I am feeling a bit odd and I'm sorry I brought it into this thread![:D]

I'm very wary of putting someone off doing a good/kind/sociable thing just vecause of my own  freaky anxieties.

I would freak out if I thought people even might be uncomfortable/confused in my house, but my guess is that other people (who aren't weird hermits like me) pull these things off even if they break all the 'rules'. [:)]

When I am in France, I love it when Twinks shows me all things French and, I have learned loads about their culture and food.  However, Twinks always insists that I make a roast lamb dinner.  She was so young moving over there that she hasnt a clue how to make gravy, mint sauce or yorkshires although the French cooking she has learned from her mother in law is wonderful.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she likes to invite her French friends around for the occassion and proudly tells them it is a traditional Welsh dinner and it goes down a storm.  They commented on the lovely array of flavours between the gravy, cauliflower cheese and mint sauce.  It's different!!

[quote user="Just Katie"]

When I am in France, I love it when Twinks shows me all things French and, I have learned loads about their culture and food.  However, Twinks always insists that I make a roast lamb dinner.  She was so young moving over there that she hasnt a clue how to make gravy, mint sauce or yorkshires although the French cooking she has learned from her mother in law is wonderful.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she likes to invite her French friends around for the occassion and proudly tells them it is a traditional Welsh dinner and it goes down a storm.  They commented on the lovely array of flavours between the gravy, cauliflower cheese and mint sauce.  It's different!!

[/quote]

ahhh ... that's sounds so sweet... [:D]

Tresco... I'm not worried or put off by anything you've said... honest... I'm very pleased you posted... forwarned is forearmed... or something like that!  [8-)] [:D]

The first time I invited neighbours and friends for 'aperos', there was no problem about what was served, more about where it was served.  I had set up the drinks in the sitting room and my guest stood around looking a bit lost.  Here, the aperos are taken sitting around the kitchen table.  I'm used to it now and find it a lot easier but it took a while to understand having 'porto' as an aperitif.  But as everyone has said, Rose, do what makes you feel most comfortable and I'm sure it will be a wow. Jen

Rose - the key words, for your French neighbours and friends, are "aperitif dinatoire". I was introduced to this by our slightly younger French neighbours. Since neither of these friends likes cooking, but both like to have friends around (half the night sometimes), that is what they do regularly. So all you have to do is to serve drinks and titbits, finger foods, maye bits of pizzas and quiches, some people drinking wine or alcohol, others fruit juices, usually sitting around a table in the garden, kids playing to the side, etc, i.e. very informal, people can move around and mingle, or not, unlike the usual production that comes with a "real meal". If you invite people with the magic words, they will know roughly what to expect, and it gives you free rein.

Dear all... thank you for the great ideas!!! I now feel confident about my plans and will have a go at Tikka Chicken... always good to be talked about (in a good way!) [Www] [:D]  I'll let you know who we get on!

I just have one more indecision that maybe you can help with... almost everyday I pop into the village shop and the lady behind the counter always talks and corrects my french (in a nice way) and encourages me to talk.  We chat in the best way we can and from the first day she has always been really kind... she's also really sweet with my son.  I was thinking of inviting her too but learned yesterday that she is the Maire's wife!!! [blink] [:$]... I've never met the Maire and am now worried that it may seem odd to invite them?  or am I worrying about nothing!  he's been Maire for 30 years so I guess he must be popular in the village. [8-)]