version.

‘But why’, the pharmacist asked,’ the suppositories work a

lot quicker’.

This, I do not doubt, but could I please have paracetamol in

a tablet form.

There is a farmer who lives on the outskirts of the village,

whom I am told has never been ill and the reason for this is his daily garlic

clove suppository !!

[:-))] .............   I am French, and I was NEVER given suppos for paracetamol !!!

This sounds really weird ... [:D]

Was the paracetamol intended for a child?

It is commonly given for children. But very rare for adults.

About the garlic treatment, ........ giggle giggle...   Never heard of such a thing, but it makes me laugh.............

[:D]

Nicole wrote:-

This is one subject that the French are quite relaxed about and the English conversely get very hot under the collar whenever suppositories are mentioned.

The use of relaxed and.....hot under the collar..........well it made me smile[:D]

No, our local doc prescribes paracetamol supps for adults. The OH had a bug last year and I noticed when we got back from the chemist that they were not for orale use. I told him what to do with them but he assumed I was just being my usual earthy self. They are still in the cabinet. Some people just don't know how to have fun[;-)]

• 1 month later...
I went to a pharmacy in Paris with a lost voice and sore throat and the pharmacien recommended suppositories. Well.....!

He said he realised the Brits were a bit tight***ed about that sort of thing, but there was a good reason for it......apparently medicaments get absorbed into the bloodstream without passing through the stomach. Therefore the medication acts more quickly and no more upsets !

Hmm, this is becoming a jolly thread isn't it?  But in advance of moving to France I suppose I need to ask whether there are any medicines only available in this form in France - because my NHS installed Alternative Plumbing in that area [:-))]means that it has to be pills or nothing!

Anybody know the answer?

Chris

Chris, the answer is that for the  many other people here in France with the same predicament as yours,  of course there are alternatives... oral, transdermal, intra-muscular or intraveinous. Usually plenty of options in how to administer drugs. Suppositories are cheap, uncomplicated, easy to use. They deliver the active substances fast, without need for an "acte médical" like an injection.

More generally (i.e. not addressed to you Chris) I have always been surprised  that the topic of suppositories generates so much merriment but also some distaste and perhaps a little fear for Brits, as if having anything to do with this part of one's anatomy is a major transgression. This is a truly puzzling cultural difference. What is considered natural and normal for one, is not considered as such by the other.

Maybe one of these days, someone will write a paper about it....[:D]

[quote user="5-element"]Maybe one of these days, someone will write a paper about it....[:D][/quote]

I think you'll find they already have!  Not done a proper "professional librarian" search, but putting suppositories and cultural differences into Google brought up quite a lot, without even trying the scientific or medical literature.  There isn't much that hasn't already been written about these days.

Thanks for the tip,  I should have known.....those social scientists have a lot to answer for!!![:D]

edit: just started googling, and this is what I found (sorry if this format messes up the thread)-

Patients’attitudes to rectal drug administration

Summary

One hundred adult patients attending for day case surgery were surveyed by anonymous questionnaire in order to determine their attitudes to rectal drug administration. Fifty four patients did not want an analgesic drug (diclofenac sodium) administered rectally whilst under anaesthesia, all preferring to take it orally if available. Ninety eight patients thought that drugs administered per rectum should always be discussed with them beforehand and a few had very strong feelings about this route of administration. We suggest that prescribers of rectal diclofenac should always discuss it with patients pre-operatively. Whilst many are happy to have suppositories, some young patients are sensitive about this and prefer to take such medication by mouth.

and here is the link to a fascinating forum with very long discussion about very different attitudes towards "putting things in your bum" - apparently it is thought of as "very German" there - not so much French, you see?

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t68687.html

When I read all your posts, I have a feeling we don't live in the same country !! [blink]

I am French, and I ve NEVER been given suppos for myself, by any doctor, the docs I ve met only gve them fpr children, because they can't swallow tablets...

Your experiences are very surprising to me ..