Smoking at Restaurants

PaulT

Was at a restaurant last week (by the lake at Montrejeau) sitting at one of the tables outside. There were a couple at another table smoking and during the meal the waitress came and put an ashtray on each of the outside tables.

Is it legal to smoke at a table outside a restaurant or was this blatant law breaking?

Paul

It is certainly allowed at our local restaurant I am glad to say. That sort of American/U. K. hysteria as not yet affected this part of France! You would be in more danger from passing traffic fumes......................................JR

[quote user="Clair"]Smoking is allowed on the terraces of bars, cafés and restaurants, when the terraces are not covered or when the cover is open.

[/quote]

Yes, same thing happens in the U.K. too. Just as you decide it is a nice day and it would be great to sit outside for your meal you then find you are surrounded by the smokers. [:(][:@] grrrrr!

All for smoke free restos, just sit up wind from smokers when you eat outside. Smokers now freeze their ....... off smoking outside when non-smokers are snug inside in the winter as it's illegal to do so inside.  I do like a nice cigar after a lovely meal though and will continue to enjoy one outside; as it's legal to do so.

[quote user="Cendrillon"][quote user="Clair"]Smoking is allowed on the terraces of bars, cafés and restaurants, when the terraces are not covered or when the cover is open.
[/quote]

Yes, same thing happens in the U.K. too. Just as you decide it is a nice day and it would be great to sit outside for your meal you then find you are surrounded by the smokers. [:(][:@] grrrrr!
[/quote]

I don't want to sound to blunt – but tough!

I would imagine you sit, during the winter months laughing & sniggering at smokers that are forced to go outside to have a cigarette because of the new smoking laws, but now the summer months are here it's not quite so funny.

I wonder if the polls to ban smoking had been held in the summer would they have given the same results. Just goes to show you should be careful what you wish for.

[quote user="Cendrillon"][quote user="Clair"]Smoking is allowed on the terraces of bars, cafés and restaurants, when the terraces are not covered or when the cover is open.
[/quote]

[/quote]

And you are surrounded by them when you sit inside as well. Perhaps the law should be extended to ban smokers from entering any building that a non-smoker is likely to enter ?

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

And you are surrounded by them when you sit inside as well. Perhaps the law should be extended to ban smokers from entering any building that a non-smoker is likely to enter ?

John

[/quote]

Why not just shoot them all, why you're at it [:@]

Whether you self-righteous non-smokers like it or not, the practice is still a legal activity, so perhaps a bit of tolerance is in order ..................................fat chance, I guess.

Typed while sitting outside with my laptop, a coffee and, yes, a cigarette .......................because I still can.

"I would imagine you

sit, during the winter months laughing & sniggering at smokers that

are forced to go outside to have a cigarette because of the new smoking

laws, but now the summer months are here it's not quite so funny."

[8-)]

Ali-cat

I don't think I said anything about "laughing and sniggering" where on earth did you get that idea from? All I ask is to be able to eat my meal without cigarette smoke being constantly puffed across my food and the table where I am sitting.

Thanks for the replies and to Clair for the clarification.

Always amuses me how a minority - yes, you the smokers - seem to think it is their right to subject the majority - the non-smokers - to their foul smoke.

I for one would like to see a ban on tobacco on the grounds that it is a dangerous life threating substance.

Paul

[quote user="P2"]

I for one would like to see a ban on tobacco on the grounds that it is a dangerous life threating substance.

Paul

[/quote]

Well, if you're in a banning mood, and really serious about it what about alcohol, responsible for thousands of deaths and destruction of individuals and families.

Ah, but yes, but ............................

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"][quote user="Bugsy"]
Why not just shoot them all, why you're at it [:@]
[/quote]

Excellent! When can we start?

As for self-righteous, is there not one thing that gets up YOUR nose?

[/quote]

Does my little finger count?

[quote user="powerdesal"]

[quote user="Cendrillon"] All I ask is to be able to eat my meal without cigarette smoke being constantly puffed across my food and the table where I am sitting.
[/quote]

Eat inside then.

[/quote]

Or stay at home....

Presumably that's what you did when smoking was freely allowed in all public places, including the workplace and the top deck of the bus   [Www]  (comment from a non-smoker)

LOL , tomorrow I will take my 89 year old mother shopping which involves  increasing manouvering to get her out the house, down her steps, into the car, out the car into to the instore wheel chair and the same in reverse as she has spinal collapse  aggrevated or caused by  by osteoporosis...then when all that is done her shopping put away, everything that needs filling up (like tea, cereal,sugar etc) filled and I sit down with a sandwich, she'll light up puff all over me and tell me that smoking has never done her any harm.....[:@]

If any of you smokers feel like coming to give me a hand, just let me know; while you are there I'll point out the colour of the walls, ceiling, pictures, bedding (and no, she doesn't smoke in bed) all covered with a yellow/brown film....

[quote user="Russethouse"]she'll light up puff all over me and tell me that smoking has never done her any harm.....[:@][/quote]

Flippin' heck!  If I can get about as much, when I'm 89, I'll say the same.  [:)]  Oh, and all our walls are gleaming white, as we only smoke outside. [:D]

That would be fine ali - cat, but the fact is that she  can only move with the assistance of various frames and then with added assistance outdoors, or in the case of getting her out the car, me lifting her.... hope you have some handy relatives to help you !

[quote user="ali-cat"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]she'll light up puff all over me and tell me that smoking has never done her any harm.....[:@][/quote]

Flippin' heck!  If I can get about as much, when I'm 89, I'll say the same.  [:)]  Oh, and all our walls are gleaming white, as we only smoke outside. [:D]

[/quote]

And your lungs presumably are not being polluted[;-)]

Never mind, you can remain coinfident that will have full access to a wonderful French medical service to care for you if you should ever need it.[8-|]

[quote user="P2"]I for one would like to see a ban on tobacco on the grounds that it is a dangerous life threating substance.

Paul

[/quote]

Ah, but as far as the British Government are concerned, they don't. The tax on tobacco more or less covers the cost of the NHS. If this revenue was not forthcoming they would have to increase taxes for all.

If people didn't smoke they would be healthier and live longer. The Government don't want this either, it would put a greater strain on the funding for state pensions, as people would be drawing them for longer. Again, increased taxes for all..... 

[quote user="Gengulphus"]I don't suppose Jeanne Calmont would ever have reached the magnificent age of 122 if she hadn't given up smoking at 118.

[/quote]

Living isn't really the point, quality of life is........

When you can't stand or walk unaided lots of tasks become very difficult, it affects everything....fancy potatoes or carrots with your meal ? how are you going to peel them...try washing a saucepan one handed, want a shower or to wash your hair, all has to be done one handed, paperboy left the paper on the mat rather than through the letter box, it had to stay there........even opening a bottle is a challenge (and I'm talking mouthwash and fizzy water, not wine !)