Help! Suitable Token Birthday Present

Fi

We have been here for around 5 months.  Our neighbour, who is very sweet, and who my children adore, has invited us to celebrate her birthday tomorrow.  The brats have already chosen their special present (chocolate cats!) and made cards.  I will of course give her a card, but I would like to give a small gift from me.  I was thinking of making a batch of macaroons and wrapping them up with lots of ribbon and cellophane - do you think that would be acceptable or would seem to be rather cheapskate?  Please be honest!

Thanks

Fi

[quote user="Fi"] I was thinking of making a batch of macaroons and wrapping them up with lots of ribbon and cellophane - do you think that would be acceptable or would seem to be rather cheapskate?

[/quote]

No, IMHO, it shows how much you care ... I am sure she would be delighted to receive such a lovely present; made especially for her.

Sue

It is extremely easy peasy (hence my fear of being a cheapskate!).  Here goes:

2 med egg whites

8 oz caster sugar

4 oz ground almonds

few drops almond essence

whole, blanched almonds

Makes around 25 bite size ones.

Whisk the egg whites until you reach "stiff peaks"  (ooer - sorry, very juvenile).  Fold in the sugar.  Very, very gently stir in the almonds and essence.  Put neat teaspoonfuls on parchment lined baking sheets.  Press an almond onto each biscuit. (You could use half a glace cherry for variety.)  Bake 12-15 mins at 180/mk 4.  They should be pale gold and firm (I should get out more).  Cool thoroughly and store in airtight containers (or wrap up in a jolly manner as presents).  They will be chewy  at first, and will become firmer (don't say it!) as time progresses.  Eat within a week or they will be very glamorous bird food!

Enjoy

Fi

Something home made is not the sign of a cheapskate but of someone who cares.  After all, time is a precious commodity.

I recently had a daughter in hospital for the second time running this year.  One of my friends made me a shepherd's pie and a fruit salad so that I didn't have to cook for the other children when I arrived back from the hospital.  A priceless gift...

[quote user="Fi"]It is extremely easy peasy (hence my fear of being a cheapskate!).  Here goes:

2 med egg whites
8 oz caster sugar
4 oz ground almonds
few drops almond essence
whole, blanched almonds

Makes around 25 bite size ones.

Whisk the egg whites until you reach "stiff peaks"  (ooer - sorry, very juvenile).  Fold in the sugar.  Very, very gently stir in the almonds and essence.  Put neat teaspoonfuls on parchment lined baking sheets.  Press an almond onto each biscuit. (You could use half a glace cherry for variety.)  Bake 12-15 mins at 180/mk 4.  They should be pale gold and firm (I should get out more).  Cool thoroughly and store in airtight containers (or wrap up in a jolly manner as presents).  They will be chewy  at first, and will become firmer (don't say it!) as time progresses.  Eat within a week or they will be very glamorous bird food!
Enjoy
Fi

[/quote]

Thank you, Fi.  Say, you're the new Nigella or what?[:D]

I thought you meant the pork chop bit was fine but that you'd wear something a little more "comfortable" than jimjams?

Sorry, but it really wasn't that easy to work out what you meant?[:D]

Nevermind, re-read it in the morning, eh?

A very good idea. 

I saw a bit of a Nigella programme which even she admitted was slightly overdone, where she made a comforting supper for herself which I think was a grilled pork chop with marmolised canned haricot beans.  The ridiculous thing was that she attempted to eat said dainty snack semi slumped on the sofa, in her leisure wear (jimjams to you and I!) with only a fork.  Beans OK, pork chop, almost impossible.  This was the same series where someone married to a Saatchi is apparently reduced to standing in the bus queue clutching a flask of pea soup.  [:D] Hmmm.

Bonne nuit!

[quote user="Cathy"]Something home made is not the sign of a cheapskate but of someone who cares.  After all, time is a precious commodity.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.  Macarons prettily wrapped sounds like a perfect gift.

When I've had shop-bought macarons they are fruit flavoured and different colours, sandwiched together in pairs with (probably) fruit puree. Miam, miam.

Thx for the recipe, and the humour. [:)]