Romanians :Do they try this on in France ?

Frederick

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear the news, Sweet. You've really looked into it all as well, what with the visits and finding out about drains, beams and now researching electric pianos! Maybe he has had a better offer, although it seems a rum do after so long. They were so close to getting their money in sterling too!

So that's off the menu; onward with the training before it gets too hot! [:)]

Yes, so sorry Sweet17. Have written a little piece in the 'chatter en français' section. Fate ... I believe. bonne chance.

Ebaynut - I have been entirely honest and open with you. Have I missed your reply? Do you live in France or in the UK - and if in France how long have you been there? It would only be fair to reply. Merci et Joyeuses Paques.  Swissie

[quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="sweet 17"]

If, as rumour has it, these Roumanians are everywhere, where is it safe to look for a house? 

[/quote]

Try Romania, there cant be many left there now. [Www]

[/quote]

Yes, a bit of lateral thinking there, I must say [:D]  Only thing is, I'm experiencing enough difficulty with learning French and can't contemplate learning Roumanian!

Is it true Roumanian is a devilishly difficult language to learn?

Anyone know any Roumanian on here (the language and not the person) who could give us a bit of a taster?  Say, just the alphabet?

GG, I know, it's very disappointing but then life is a bit like that.  There are indeed no certainty and, as you say, onwards and upwards..........Compostelle, here we come!!!!!

Eeuh, just a thought, will there be Roumanians on the route?[:-))] 

[quote user="Swissie"]Yes, so sorry Sweet17. Have written a little piece in the 'chatter en français' section. Fate ... I believe. bonne chance.

Ebaynut - I have been entirely honest and open with you. Have I missed your reply? Do you live in France or in the UK - and if in France how long have you been there? It would only be fair to reply. Merci et Joyeuses Paques.  Swissie
[/quote]

Hello Swissie,

I am English born and 'bread',  (that's for Norman)  and live in England. ( can you hear the National Anthem playing ?????) [;-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"][

GG, I know, it's very disappointing but then life is a bit like that.  There are indeed no certainty and, as you say, onwards and upwards..........Compostelle, here we come!!!!!

[/quote]

Think of it like this, If it was meant to have happened it would have, no doubt you will find somewhere even better in time.

You did say how much nicer your current house was looking of late. Enjoy it, you have put in a lot of work. Who knows, you may be able to claim a refund for having the moat emptied next time. [I]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="sweet 17"]

If, as rumour has it, these Roumanians are everywhere, where is it safe to look for a house? 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, a bit of lateral thinking there, I must say [:D]  Only thing is, I'm experiencing enough difficulty with learning French and can't contemplate learning Roumanian!

Anyone know any Roumanian on here (the language and not the person) who could give us a bit of a taster?  Say, just the alphabet?

Eeuh, just a thought, will there be Roumanians on the route?[:-))] 

[/quote]

Just checked the stats, Sweet.  Since 1995, 35 Roumanians have made the Pilgrimage, 8 in 2007 the year of the latest statistics. I'm sorry about the news about your house purchase and we'll discuss next weekxxx

[quote user="ebaynut"]

Think of it like this, If it was meant to have happened it would have, no doubt you will find somewhere even better in time.

You did say how much nicer your current house was looking of late. Enjoy it, you have put in a lot of work. Who knows, you may be able to claim a refund for having the moat emptied next time. [I]

[/quote]

Yes, indeed...............you have cheered me up no end.  Won't need cheque d'emploi with Roumanians since they will be working on the black; and the moat has been looking a bit choked up with weeds lately, I must admit.

Can no longer give the excuse that one can't get the staff these days, can one?

Only thing is, I daren't specifically put "Roumanians Wanted" or anything so blatant if I were to advertise; I know I'd only be accused of racism or some such.   Aaarrrrgggggghhhh...........can't be too careful these days, malheureusement.

Jen, thanks for those stats.  Only 7 Roumanians in 2007?  Well, we'll just have to keep walking if we see any and pretend we haven't noticed, won't we?

On the other hand, how will we know a Roumanian if we do see one?  Can't exactly give them a wide berth if we don't know they are Roumanians, can we?[8-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Romanian is a Latin language similar to Italian and French as I have already said.

Here is an extract from a daily newspaper today, dealing with illegal immigrants  [:P]

http://www.monitoruldegalati.ro/index.php?func=articol&domeniu=Eveniment&articol=3

You will see several phrases that are similar to French:

"Poliţiştii de frontieră"

sub coordonarea procurorilor

reţea de trafic de migranţi

mandate de arestare preventivă pentru 29 de

zile, iar două persoane sunt cercetate în stare de libertate

If you want to read and hear poetry you can here

http://www.romanianvoice.com/poezii/poezii/nunta.php

I have given up hope that people read the links I post, but I will repeat one which shows life in a typical Romanian city in the East of the country, where the students are taking part in the 'free hugs' movement ...the people in the street don't look too much if a menace to me

You can hear them talking..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BUo3eJMGE

"Won't need cheque d'emploi with Roumanians since they will be working on

the black"

Some yes, just like many British.

There are others I know who have started businesses in France, particularly in the building trade,  and the Romanian woman  who acts as Aide à Domicile for  old people in my quarter is an Autoentrepreneur with a Siren number.

Then there are others who have contracts as Doctors, or professional Rugby players.

One of the best wines in our region is made by a  French/Romanian couple.

The thing I have found unbearable in this thread has been the level of 'ha ha' 'nudge-nudge' 'wink wink' comments about "Romanians' based on ignorance of the country, the language, and any experience of them as individuals, or of having visited the country.

When I have given links they seem to have gone unread.

Please don't descend to this level.

Norman, your links do not go unread. They provide an opportunity to learn more about Romania and its people and culture, and their relationship to the rest of Europe. This thread will have been useful to me, to make the difference between Romanians as in Romanian citizens, and Romas - gypsies - who are Romanians too, but a sub-culture and minority within Romania. It may be that many people do not know the distinction - and some might have no interest in knowing...

So it appears that anyone who can read French is able to read and understand maybe 50% of a text in Romanian.

The "Free Hugs" link you give is the proof that Romanian is a doddle of a language. For a start, "Free Hugs" translates as "Free Hugs".[:)]

Still, are you sure that those students depicted in the link are not either typical commies on a recruiting expedition, or budding pickpockets using "free hugs" as a first line approach to make bodily contact?[6]

Not for me, my linguistic skills, such as they are, do not cut muster.

So.....how do you say, how much for cleaning out the moat and I want it done immediately and I don't expect you to be taking time out eating your Roumanian lunches or tea breaks or whatever it is that Roumanians consider to be their most important meal of the day?

Subsequent to the conquering of Dacia by Trajan the Province had a chequered history.

The province was subject to a complex Romanization process and its basic element was the adoption of the Latin language. The Romanians are today the only descendants of the Eastern Roman stock; therefore, the Romanian language is one of the major heirs of the Latin language, together with French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese.

The language bears more affinity with Italian.

Pacha, do you know anything about Sard which is the strand of Italian that they speak in Sardinia?  I only have a very passing acquaintance with Sard though I have spent holidays there.

Apparently, Sard is nearest to Latin than any other European language.  For example, for house, they say "dormus" rather than the Italian "casa".

Never been to Cerdeña or Corsica unfortunately. The Catalans say that las sardanas came from there, if you are ever in Barça go to the square behind the Catédral in the early evening and you can join impromptu groups dancing before going home. The Catalans colonised part of Cerdeña and catalan is still spoken in Alghero. Busy at moment watching the Semana Santa on Andalucia TV, an all night affair. Spanish Foreign Legion in Malaga earlier and now switched to Sevilla for the salida of La Macarena. The weather forecast looks to be good for the night so the processions and Saetas should be spectacular.

http://www.tv-du-monde.com/andalucia.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.........

The 168 children had each been convicted of 100 crimes, 1,680 offences; 80% of which had been committed in London.

Children as youg as 6 were expoited and used to distract targets whilst their purses, wallets, handbags and phones were stolen.

Each child could raise up to £100,000 per annum: and earn £200/day begging.

And what must be remembered, is this is just those who were caught.......................

And so are the poor kids of some Romas all over the world - these people happen to be a very small proportion of the people of Romania. I spent all of my life fighting stereotypes - like all British people are football hooligans, all British people are constantly drunk and have wild sex on the beach + take drugs (exactly what people think in Ibiza or Ianapa (sp?). Those Roma people are all over the Eastern block, and are hated there and have been persecuted for Centuries. I make NO apologies for what they do - apart that if for Centuries you are excluded from Society, you learn to exploit said Society, partly to survive, partly because you grow to hate them. The vast majority of Romanians ARE NOT ROMA GIPSIES.

Sorry Gluestick - I am not sure if you do not understand what I am saying. These Romanian gipsies (Roma) are in London in fairly large numbers - but they are a very tiny and very specific part of the Romanian population, eg the people of Romania. Many are Bulgarian. In French it is easier, as it is Roumains and Romas. If you live near St Marie de la Mer - you might understand the difference. Plenty of Romas there are French, for instance.

I do not live in London any more, but I am there every couple of months - will be there next week actually. When in London I walk and take the Tube, so have seen them with my very own eyes on a fairly regular basis. When I lived in UK (until last March, I was in London very frequently)

They are a real problem - but the persecution they have suffered back in their own country over Centuries have pushed them to the edge and beyond - to the UK, Switzerland, parts of France, Germany, etc.

A musing.................how come every question asked about FRANCE invariable ends up with Gluey hijacking it to the UK?

And I've edited that.....coz I'm hacked off.

"DO THEY DO THIS IN FRANCE?" answer YES. and you wouldn't be able to get rid of them. So, Ya-Bo Shucks To You......1 up to the UK!!!

Thanks to the voices of reason.

I used to ask myself if the poison spewed out in some of the posts in this thread is because the posters are mad, bad, or stupid.

Now I know some are all three.

1) The thread is about FRENCH culture

2) Intellectually generalisations have no value

3) Intelligence is about being able to learn from experience and information, and knowing how to test the validity of evidence.

I am waiting for Gluestick to suggest a 'Final Solution' to the Romanian problem