Romanians :Do they try this on in France ?

Frederick

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys, as Sabrina and I were trundling round the Francilienne yesterday aided by gale force gusts that made her wag her tail quite provokingly at all those big, butch Volvo trucks, I remembered this thread and kept my peepers open round about for Roumanians. Not I hasten to add of the Rom traveller variety who seem to live in established camps, but of the other kind who seem to live in hovels of different kinds. And my, there are a lot of encampments to be seen, reminiscent of the slums of the Indian community of Durban back in the '50s. The dwellings were made of scraps of wood and metal as far as one could see and some bore signs of native activity such as 'Solidarité avec the Roumans' or suchlike. There were odd buildings that looked to have been occupied too. Though I did not see any garden sheds of  shedloads of dying Canada geese or swans to be fair.

So, yes, people from Roumania are existing in France, taking the jobs of our French boys, stealing in proportion I suppose, generally doing what it takes to get by. At least they do not seem to be taking on the police with Kaleshnikovs!

Whether they should have been allowed to 'flood' into Western Europe or whether there should have been or be a controlled influx is another matter.

Thank you RH and PPP.  Great innit?

Now I will tell you the truth and why I am a bit biased. My first 'proper' boyfriend was Romanian. The son of a noble family that had to escape after the Revolution. They first came to Switzerland to stay with my Tante Berthe, who had been his father's governess at their wonderful Castle near Bucharest. Parents later went to live in a very posh part of Paris, near the King of Romania. And the son stayed in Lausanne to study Geology. I still go weak at the knees just thinking of him.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Russethouse"]

This ?

http://videosift.com/video/Dan-Dan-The-Daily-Mail-Song

[/quote]

Loved it RH, never heard it or of it before, very funny.

[/quote]

The youtube link is more profligate. Surprised you haven't come across them; but a bit of a cult thing. The Daily Mail is their latest, the 40th so far; check the link below as it contains thumb-nails for all of the Dan&Dans. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=dananddanfilms#g/u

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Well guys, as Sabrina and I were trundling round the Francilienne yesterday aided by gale force gusts that made her wag her tail quite provokingly at all those big, butch Volvo trucks, I remembered this thread and kept my peepers open round about for Roumanians. Not I hasten to add of the Rom traveller variety who seem to live in established camps, but of the other kind who seem to live in hovels of different kinds. And my, there are a lot of encampments to be seen, reminiscent of the slums of the Indian community of Durban back in the '50s. The dwellings were made of scraps of wood and metal as far as one could see and some bore signs of native activity such as 'Solidarité avec the Roumans' or suchlike. There were odd buildings that looked to have been occupied too. Though I did not see any garden sheds of  shedloads of dying Canada geese or swans to be fair.

So, yes, people from Roumania are existing in France, taking the jobs of our French boys, stealing in proportion I suppose, generally doing what it takes to get by. At least they do not seem to be taking on the police with Kaleshnikovs!

Whether they should have been allowed to 'flood' into Western Europe or whether there should have been or be a controlled influx is another matter.

[/quote]

I have seen these 'shanty towns' a few years back, well more like small villages down south about 1km inland from the sea along the edge of the minor country roads. I have to say I was quite amazed, I didn't think they existed in such a 'civilised' country as France. Asking about them and their occupants in a nearby restaurant we were told that they are Arab's or more specifically Moroccans. While we were eating they had to throw a couple out who had somehow managed to sneak in and beg at the tables. Never having experienced this before in France I was first quite horrified which after a while turned to a bit of sympathy in a way. These people arrive by boat and work their way through to 'the mother country' well it was before Morocco became independent and still naively believe that they will be welcomed with open arms and looked after. Of course the biggest perpetrators of such myths are those bringing them in illegally and taking all their money.

We have some Belgian guests, well more like friends now as they stay 3 or 4 times a year. They come from Antwerp and basically have said about immigrants there much the same as has been said here about free housing, health care, never working, more drugs etc and how the place is 'over run' with them. Never having been to Belgium let alone Antwerp or read a Belgium newspaper I don't have a clue how true that is.

[quote user="Swissie"]Thank you RH and PPP.  Great innit?

Now I will tell you the truth and why I am a bit biased. My first 'proper' boyfriend was Romanian. The son of a noble family that had to escape after the Revolution. They first came to Switzerland to stay with my Tante Berthe, who had been his father's governess at their wonderful Castle near Bucharest. Parents later went to live in a very posh part of Paris, near the King of Romania. And the son stayed in Lausanne to study Geology. I still go weak at the knees just thinking of him.
[/quote]

Cachottière va!

Gordon tells em. [Www]

And he delivered a stark message to illegal migrants: "To those migrants who think they can get away without making a contribution; without respecting our way of life; without honouring the values that make Britain what it is - I have only one message - you are not welcome."

[quote user="krusty"]

Gordon tells em. [Www]

And he delivered a stark message to illegal migrants: "To those migrants who think they can get away without making a contribution; without respecting our way of life; without honouring the values that make Britain what it is - I have only one message - you are not welcome."

[/quote]

Gordon draws a line in the sand in Shoreditch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/itnnews#p/a/u/2/3v8bG7hx_lw

[quote user="krusty"]

Gordon tells em. [Www]

[/quote]

Shame he does not have the vote winning sense to add "and we will throw you out pdq"

John

[/quote]

Wools, do you really know the provenance of Sabrina?  Is she of Roumanian extraction?  Do her parents come from Roumania?  Is she quite legitimate, that is, born on the right side of the blanket, as it were?

Do you think that, if you looked into her history more closely, you might find some Roumanian genes somewhere in her make-up and that that is why you have had nothing but problems with her?

Come to think of it, bearing in mind what you have said about her wagging her tail, she reminds me an awful lot of Randy...............

I understand from reports in the local news that the French Government intends to make it compulsory for holiday homes that are unoccupied for most of the year to be made available to homeless people during the winter months. Romanian refugees have petitioned the EU to be given priority.

Whatever their faults, you can't accuse these Roumanians of being slow to take action when it's clearly in their interests to do something!

I'm just glad I live in my home full-time .............and I shall be able to guard it against all invaders [:D]

Wools, I have this morning received a message from the seller that  "due to unforeseen circumstances" he is withdrawing his house from the market for the time being!

So, no second house, no invasion of Roumanians:  as they say, every cloud has a silver lining?

But you will have a second home soon!!

I do hope will has posted his message on AI. It should cause apoplectic fits at least!

[/quote]

Actually, WB, that's where I got it from, though without the Romanian connection. I would have linked to it, as the 'source', but knew it wouldn't stay there for long. But while it was there, and before somebody outed it as poisson d'Avril, there was some cyber-harrumphing with people demanding to know what the source was and others saying it was actually a good idea, but should only apply to vacant apartments in Paris. [:D]

As our second home exists now - in England - maybe the Romanians have already moved in.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Get a flat in La Rochelle[/quote]

Yes, Wools, I'm afraid it's back to Square One.  It's so wearying, this househunting lark.  We'd made 2 trips up there, stayed at a hotel and a gîte, dragged the poor dog up with us, spent hours looking round the house and the area, done all sorts of research "on the ground", not to mention on the Internet.  So, I'm going to give it all a rest now and possibly do nothing for this year as Jen and I have our grande aventure to go on in September.

Feel a bit deflated at the mo and am thinking that, in any case, it's going to be well nigh impossible to find a place where one could be sure would be a Roumanian-free zone.

If, as rumour has it, these Roumanians are everywhere, where is it safe to look for a house?