Are sex scandals the norm in French political circles then?

mint

Aren't they part of the political sleaze quotient?

edited

Not necessarily unwelcome attentions but a variety; in UK as well as France;
from Chirac and Mitterand; Profumo to Heath (wasn't he the man in the mask?) and one surprise, Blunkett, who had an affair with a married woman! 

If you have a few hours to spare, Sweets, grab yourself a copy of "Against Our Will" by Susan Brownmiller and read it.

My take on this is that sexual assault is not (in spite of its name) about sex, but about power.  Thus, he (for it's usually men who commit sexual assault, although not exculsively) who seeks a position of power - and the politician is one such since his job is more about power than money, especially in the lower echelons - may, by implication, be more likely to use his physical and professional "superiority" to overpower women.  He may also learn how to manipulate situations so that he can dominate  others, rather more successfully than the average man since he does this in his everyday life.

This is sad and horrifying for many reasons, not least because one would prefer one's political leaders to help improve the situation of women, not make it worse.

And no, I don't believe that France is any worse than anywhere else in these terms , but since the privacy laws do give those in politics far greater protection than they receive in, let's say, the UK or USA, then  fewer of those who "err" are brought to book.  With luck, this horrid business will help to bring about a change in this department.  Let's hope so, for the sake of all those who, heretofore, have felt unable to speak up against the unspeakable.

Coops, you are so right to make the distinction between those women who are coerced in some way and those who willingly have an affair with politicians.

That self-opinionated Edwina Currie comes to mind as an example of those in the latter category.

I daresay there are some women who enjoy the attentions of rich, powerful men.  Otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone with a modicum of sense and self-respect would have an affair with the likes of Blunkett and Prescott.....yuk![+o(]

Edit:  oops, I forgot the late Robin Cook! 

It is said that 'power' is an aphrodisiac. And it might be, I wouldn't know. I think it would take a lot more about a person to get me aroused than them being 'powerful'.

I think that the thing is that the many affairs french policitians have are never considered scandals. Frankly I don't care what they do, unless there has been as Coops says, there has been an 'abuse' of power, then I would like such affairs out in the open and something done about their behaviour.  

What I do care about is if they use 'our' money to pay for their lovers though.

Talking of anyone else's 'taste', what one human being finds attractive in another one is fortunately varied. What a rum old place it would be if we all fancied the same person. And the things that attract me are slightly 'odd' anyway as I am always attracted to 'odd' people, actually I prefer to say that they are exotic.[:)] So who would I be to say anything at all about those that others want to bed.

[quote user="Russethouse"] Robin Cook married Gaynor, I think the Blunketts split up but whether he has a partner now I know not, and the Prescotts are still together.[/quote]

RH, do you think it matters whether they eventually marry their lovers or not?

Clearly some wives also wish to hang on to the man with the power and the money.

Is Mrs Mellor still with that ugly husband of hers?

Apparently Norma is living apart from John Major.

As for Pauline, apparently she was thrilled to be Lady Prescott so I am not surprised she's stayed with John P.

Whilst we're at it, who else can we think of?

Hey, I just mean politicians and not the likes of Jeremy Clarkson even though he's ugly enough and objectionable enough [:D]

In a way I do, Robin Cooks feelings for Gaynor were obviously deep enough that he walked away from his marriage, did Tracey whatever her name harbour ideas of a future with John Prescott ? I suspect she knew she was a bit of fun, though only she knows for certain.

I suspect theres a difference between a man who has a failing relationship (even if its only in his eyes) looking for some one else and one that makes a habit of having a bit on the side...

As for Jeremy Clarkson, happy to say I never watch his program, but when your wife is the brains behind your career it seems a little foolhardy to 'play away'[8-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8536149/Nicolas-Sarkozys-party-rocked-by-own-sex-scandal.html

Now, don't be mad at me.  I am asking the question with a genuine desire to get an accurate answer and I have started a new thread so as not to muddy the waters in the DSK one.

[/quote]

A friend of mine got a desk job typing out audio surveillance reports on members of the French government during the early Mitterand years.

She never told me specifics, just bits and pieces, no names, just facts like So-and-so was busted with an under-age boy, Thingamajig has a gambling problem...

I don't suppose it's any different from the Black Book the Whips are said to keep on MPs in the Parliament...

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Don't you have a shine for Ken Clarke, then?

[/quote]

Without giving it too much thought, 'he'd have a shiner if he tried it on with me'.[:-))]

So the answer is no.

EDIT, that makes me sound violent and I'm not really, so we'll say metaphorically speaking.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

.....Robin Cooks feelings for Gaynor were obviously deep enough that he walked away from his marriage, .....[/quote]

As I remember it, Robin Cook was hauled away from his wife at an airport by (I think) Alistair Campbell and told he had to make a decision about his wife and his mistress, because something was going to be published in a newspaper.  So there would appear to have been some political pressure applied.  [:)]

Whilst its true that power corrupts I tend to see the funny side of these situations. (please note that I'm talking about the willing partners, not the bullied or coerced)

Just imagine,

Prescott

Blunkett

Cook

Mellor

Ecclestone

Rooney

Mosely

drifting out of the bathroom and sitting on the side of the bed naked, a little dribble of saliva eminating from the corner of their mouths.

Now, if you've got the picture, what more could a girl want. ?

[+o(]

Now, Bugs, oddly there is one person on your list about whom I reckon: "Yes, I could have been tempted."  I certainly do understand the attraction of a brilliant mind and a shared political and general outlook.  Plus, perhaps not as repulsive to me as apparently to some.  Thus I can see a situation - especially with politicians whose talents tend to be  cerebral - where one might spend a lot of time with them and find them fascinating, at first as personalities and then (as I'm sure you remember from your youth![;-)]) one thing leads to another. 

Anyway, don't we all know people whom we think of as "ugly" who are happily married and have been for years?  There's always somebody, somewhere, who fancies these people, as incomprehensible as it might be to others.  I mean, even Mrs T had a husband.  Blimey![:-))]  And Prescott I don't get under any circumstances - not because I don't find him attractive (each to her own but not my type), simply because he comes over as a bit dim to boot, and that really is a turn-off.  I know people have no control over that but as a person to have an affair with that would be the major no-no for me.  Ditto Clarkson who might be physically OK I suppose but mysonginists are out before they even start - nope, don't even want to shake hands with one of those, let alone.....[+o(] 

We are all different and we all make our choices based on different criteria.  A good thing really or we'd all be fighting over the same person, wouldn't we?

[quote user="pachapapa"]

"Yes, I could have been tempted."

Oh,Dawg! Not another! Hope you lose on Saturday![:P]

[/quote]Nope.  Sorry.  As so often happens, Pacha, you have completely lost me there.  Lose what on Saturday - it's practice day?  The races are always on a Sunday.  I imagine you're talking about one of those silly ball games which I find totally incomprehensible and totally unwatchable.

[quote user="Thibault"][quote user="Russethouse"]

.....Robin Cooks feelings for Gaynor were obviously deep enough that he walked away from his marriage, .....[/quote]

As I remember it, Robin Cook was hauled away from his wife at an airport by (I think) Alistair Campbell and told he had to make a decision about his wife and his mistress, because something was going to be published in a newspaper.  So there would appear to have been some political pressure applied.  [:)]

[/quote]

Didn't take long to choose did he ? I thought it was odd at the time, but against expectation he went onto marry Gaynor who sadly is a widow now .....

I wonder if the Giggs family will stay the course ? Or the Clarksons?

LOL - I somehow suspect that Coops possible tempter wont be winning or losing on Saturday[Www]

[quote user="Thibault"][quote user="Russethouse"].....Robin Cooks feelings for Gaynor were obviously deep enough that he walked away from his marriage, .....[/quote]As I remember it, Robin Cook was hauled away from his wife at an airport by (I think) Alistair Campbell and told he had to make a decision about his wife and his mistress, because something was going to be published in a newspaper.  So there would appear to have been some political pressure applied.  [:)] [/quote]

He may have been pushed to choose, but the choice was his to make.

[quote user="Hoddy"]What is really worrying is when you fancy someone whose politics you hate. I used to fancy Michael Heseltine.[/quote]

Surely NOT Tarzan or Hezza or whatever his real name is?

Oh, Hoddy, and I took you for a woman of taste and discrimination![:P][8-)]