French Baroque Dance

NormanH

I used to dance historical dance, but only tried baroque a couple of

times before I realised  it was not for me.  Simple steps usually -

though the rigaudon (shown in the first of your clips Norman) is not at

all easy, but with baroque it is very much stresses the knees and

ankles,  which I found too hard on the  joints.  Steps indeed are

relatively simple, it is all in the patterns made ...

I found that quadrille dances (Regency period onwards) were much easier

on the legs, (though still strenuous enough!) but I've not been able to

find anyone dancing that down here .... and even Scottish dancing (which

I can still manage) is too far away .... shame.

Looks a wonderful thing to do, Norman.

In my time, I've had lessons in tap, salsa and ballroom but I still am a very bad mover and OH is a very reluctant dancer so any career I might have had as any sort of a dancer is now well past me.

Mind you, I LOVE dancing as I think it's impossible to be depressed or unhappy when you are dancing.....

Off now to play some waltzes on my piano...à bientôt [:)]

We had english country dancing in primary school too and this was one of them. I loved it, but as all the other kids moaned I said nothing. Like stripping the willow best.

When we went back to England on holiday would take the kids to ceilidhs and they learned them all too, Hugh Rippon was a great caller, so easy to follow  and my kids loved going and  loved all the dances.

[quote user="NormanH"]There is a Scottish dancing class in Montpellier.

[/quote]

Yes, I know, but Montpellier is just too far to consider going on a regular basis, and I always get lost in Montpellier when I do on occasion have to go....

[quote user="idun"]

We had english country dancing in primary school too and this was one of them. I loved it, but as all the other kids moaned I said nothing. Like stripping the willow best.

When we went back to England on holiday would take the kids to ceilidhs and they learned them all too, Hugh Rippon was a great caller, so easy to follow  and my kids loved going and  loved all the dances.

[/quote]

Oh, and what a difference a good caller makes!

We went to a wedding some years ago and there was a small band of musicians and I remember it was the first time I'd heard Northumbrian pipes.  But what stays in the memory was the fantastic caller.  Even OH got up and was do si doing and skipping around like the best of them!

SUCH fun...

I still have my tap shoes and my dancing non slip shoes but alas the dancing itself I no longer have the opportunity to do [:(]

Yes, I've still got my ballet shoes (and leotard) and all the dancing shoes I've ever used (and not worn out), and I could probably find a class if I wanted to,  but it's the body these days which lets me down - it just will NOT do what it did  before!