What Are Differences between French, American and British Humor.

Visvaldis

I’m interested to know how Americans and British living in France perceive French humor and what differences they notice.

I’m especially interested to know what you think about witty, biting social and political satire in French media. Are comedians bold? Do taboos exist? What are they? Do the comments of humorists anger certain people and politicians?

I have heard of the popular Coluche, but unfortunately, my knowledge of French lacks to understand his routines.

It's not just his French, but his delivery too...very difficult to hear for we non-French.

I suspect this might be for a paper you have to write in your studies,

so I will only bite so far as to indicate my general ideas..

You could start by looking at the various coverage of the DSK affair in the satirical press such as "Canard Enchainé"

I find a characteristic of French humour to be broader and often physical, relying on silly voices etc to get a laugh, but that is also a gross generalisation as there is another flat-faced cynical style.

There is also less "auto dérision " in France and more supercilious mocking. for example this commentary on Amy Winehouse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEarA2wfbI&feature=related

Here is a clip to get you going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsd92DHrUM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D1UCZSdkU4

Something I find very strange - the French like Benny Hill, Mr. Bean and Monty Python.

French comic programs like 'H' and sketches from the Canal plus S.A.V. team I find very childish. Coluche appealed to the masses and his humour (especially towards the end of his life) was rather political and controversial. Then you have humorists like the belgian Raymond Devos - very intellectual and always palying on words - you really have to have an excellent command of the French language to get him.

So I suppose, like their music, the French have a wide variety of humour but not a lot of it appeals to me personally. This coming from someone who is very funny by the way!

No, I don't like G&S much either.  Nor Benny Hill, nor Tommy Cooper for that matter.  French humour can also be a bit broad for my taste - plus I think it's one of the toughest things to "get" in another language.  I can make French people laugh OK, but I don't always get their jokes!  But then we are all different, aren't we?  I, for instance, have just discovered The Big Bang Theory.  Clearly, this was not made for my generation but I can't remember having had such prolonged bouts of uncontrolable laughter for ages.  Each to their own..

As for American humour, the OP probably knows best, but I get the impression it's very much influenced by jewish humour. eg Woody Allen's style of rather bitter self-deprecation.

for british, my favourites are (were) Pete and Dud.

And I find french humour rather broad and slapstick. Out in the country where we are the height of humour is to tease the anglais about the dangerous creatures that supposedly lurk in the undergrowth.

There was a tv programme last year where Marcus Brigstocke did a stand-up routine in Paris. At first he did his normal very verbal schtick, translated into french, and the audience didn't laugh. So he introduced some physical stuff ( Steve Martin style) and that went down better.

Florence Foresti is pretty incredible.  Here as Madonna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgCo1y2rjUI&feature=related

If you still have some time, as Britney Spears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zUUKrhNuJw&feature=related

And, the cerise sur le gâteau, as Isabelle Adjani:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxr3F1p8xnU&feature=related

Thanks for your responses.

No paper for my studies, my college days are decades behind me. Actually, I plan (within 20 months) to relocate to France, probably in Tarn, maybe Albi.

All my life I've appreciated strange humor and wondered how such is handled in France.

Several months ago, by idling surfing through youtube, I discovered a few short segments of Monkey Dust. What I saw was excellent! That's the kind of strange things I like.

I wonder how the average French person would react to Monkey Dust.

Albi is an excellent choice..very 'agréable à vivre' , a place I would happily consider if I were making the move afresh.

As for MonkeyDust you would have to find an average French person to ask..The two or three we have posting on here are quite exceptionally talented  (bilingual, intelligent, competent) so are hardly representative [:P]

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="NormanH"]  .....The two or three we have posting on here are quite exceptionally talented  (bilingual, intelligent, competent) so are hardly representative [:P]

[/quote]

[:@]...Et moi alors ???

[/quote]

Well you are posting on here, so obviously you know which category you fit in to.." quite exceptionally talented  (bilingual, intelligent, competent)"..

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="NormanH"]  .....The two or three we have posting on here are quite exceptionally talented  (bilingual, intelligent, competent) so are hardly representative [:P]
[/quote]

[:@]...Et moi alors ???

[/quote]
Well you are posting on here, so obviously you know which category you fit in to.." quite exceptionally talented  (bilingual, intelligent, competent)"..[/quote]

......That's me made up for the weekend !!!  [B]