Twin towns - is this end?

brianagain

My town in the UK was twinned with a place in France but it whatever exchanges etc went on, they were kept very quiet. The nearest twinned town to me in France, is very active on that front and does try and include the wider public.

The actions of the council in the story seem to be typical of the nasty party.

It's very dependent on the Personality and enthusiasm of the individuals involved.

Our link with the UK was very active when I first came here, but when the person in the UK retired it became much less so under her replacement.

At the same time the link with Germany is extremely busy, with even a beer festival in the Autumn.

The Russian committee are active but a bit defeated by distance, and the Spanish group infected by Manana..

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

By the way, I once had a bit of a shock when in Poullaouen, Finisterre (pop about 1400) and we saw signs up about their twinning with Brixton. Had visions of a mixture of Rastas and yuppies wandering along the avenue de la Tour d'Auvergne.

Turns out there's also a Brixton (pop 1200) just SW of Plymouth.

[/quote]

Isn't that Brixham in Devon, rather than Brixton?

Our local small town (Cerizay) is twinned with Ongar and has a old red British telephone box outside the Hotel de Ville.

Nearby Bressuire is twinned with Leixlip in Ireland and hosts an annual Irish music and dance spectacular. There's even a roundabout named after the Irish town.

They also put on a Highland games day with caber tossing in the park below the castle walls.

[quote user="Rob Roy"][quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

By the way, I once had a bit of a shock when in Poullaouen, Finisterre (pop about 1400) and we saw signs up about their twinning with Brixton. Had visions of a mixture of Rastas and yuppies wandering along the avenue de la Tour d'Auvergne.

Turns out there's also a Brixton (pop 1200) just SW of Plymouth.

[/quote] Isn't that Brixham in Devon, rather than Brixton?[/quote]

Nope!

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Devon/Brixton

Some years ago a small rural town in Spain twinned with a similar town in Greece. The Mayor of the Greek town visited the Spanish town. When he saw the palatial mansion belonging to the Spanish mayor he wondered how he could afford such a house. The Spaniard said; "You see that bridge over there? The EU gave us a grant to build a two-lane bridge, but by building a single lane bridge with traffic lights at either end this house could be built".

The following year the Spaniard visited the Greek town. He was simply amazed at the Greek Mayor's house, gold taps, marble floors, it was marvellous. When he asked how this could be afforded the Greek said; "You see that bridge over there?" The Spaniard replied; "No."