Johnny Hallyday - King of the Uncool!

Chiefluvvie

Crikey - can't stick him but... apparently he does have France and the French sussed!

Quote from Guardian article 10 Oct 2012:

''Here's a list of things my home country, France, can't do particularly well. Hamburgers. Speaking any foreign language without an accent. Peanut butter. Motels. Customer service of any kind. Genuinely funny comedies (French humour tends to gravitate towards slapstick). Beer. Punk rock. And most importantly, there's one thing the French just don't do, but which the British excel at: being cool."

Full article here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/10/johnny-hallyday-king-uncool

In fact - when any of my French family, freinds or neighbours mention him I always say 'Who?' just to upset them!! Can't help it.....

Chiefluvvie

I am afraid that you are quting the expatrié writer and not Johnny.

I bet he and anyone else who has escaped the emprise of France for several years would begrudgingly agree with most of her comments though.

Good and well written article though especially in a second language.

Thank you!

You've prompted me to remember that one of my sons has wanted a JH T-shirt for ages. I've just been off on the hunt and found something suitably naff and not outrageously priced. Another Christmas present sorted.

He'll be wearing it in a "so uncool it's cool" stylee, BTW.

[quote user="Georgina"]Oh heck what is the obsession with this ageing rock star, he is old and out of date and quite seriously past it. Hasn't there been anyone better since him in france,....... NO.  it is like the UK still being obsessed with Cliff Richard yawn (:
[/quote]

And what exactly is the problem with a singer ageing? They mature and improve with experience.

Old means better not, out of date or past it unless you are talking about the whole fabricated modern reality/celebrity/ £1.50 per minute to vote music machine.

Long may musicians and performers at the top of their game continue whatever their age.

I do object to the name of Johnny Halliday appearing in the "French Culture" section...

Never could stand him, having had the misfortune of growing up in the same era -- I did my best to ignore him and other lesser French so-called rock stars... real British or American  singers and groups were so much more exciting... it was always so embarrassing how those French singers were such bland imitation of their anglophone counterparts. J.H. did not do as badly as some in that respect. Nevertheless... let it not be said that ALL French people adulate him...

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Georgina"]Oh heck what is the obsession with this ageing rock star, he is old and out of date and quite seriously past it. Hasn't there been anyone better since him in france,....... NO.  it is like the UK still being obsessed with Cliff Richard yawn (:
[/quote]

And what exactly is the problem with a singer ageing? They mature and improve with experience.

Old means better not, out of date or past it unless you are talking about the whole fabricated modern reality/celebrity/ £1.50 per minute to vote music machine.

Long may musicians and performers at the top of their game continue whatever their age.

[/quote]

Quite, swop the j for an I and I'd rather have http://ianhunter.com/main/

[quote user="woolybanana"]If you look closely at his avatar which is a foto of him younger, though wearing make up, it seems that Norman may be Johnny in disguise.[/quote]

Or it could be that Johnny has had all that work done so that he more closely resembles a young Norman?

(Although frankly, he's teetering on the brink of Pete Burns.....Johnny, that is, not Norman)

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry Old only means better with wine lol and some singers know when to retire and I talk from experience  they cannot continue indefinitely sorry

Well his concerts are alway sold out and in the biggest of venues.

More than a few people must enjoy him, I take it you dont go to his concerts and I dont suppose anyone forces you to listen to his music so whats the problem?

For his age, any age come to that he is a great performer/entertainer and he certainly remains rock n roll.

For those of you who love him - I believe he's at the Zenith in Limoges in Novemeber.

For the others, Ian Hunter (Mott the Hoople) is in his 70's and still going, as is Rick Wakeman (60's), Pink Floyd, Status Quo and many of the other greats. If you saw the Who at the Olympics, they've all got bus passes - apart from Zac Starkey of course.