A revival in French detectives and thrillers

NormanH

Yes, but under the UK title Spiral...

BBC4 began to run the French detective series Spiral before it acquired the rights to the highly successful Swedish versions of Wallander and then to The Killing and The Bridge, but it is The Returned which has broken new ground for francophile viewers

I suspect it's the genre - fantasy / horror - perhaps people who watch police procedurals like The Killing, Spiral, Wallender are less likely to buy into the plot premise of Les Revs. 

Maybe also it is related to the channel and the night of transmission (C4 instead of the BBC3 Killing / Borgen / Spiral, etc and Sunday, not Saturday). I don't know why it should make a difference - I watch (or record) what appeals to me irrespective of channel or transmission time / day but apparently a lot of people stick to their preferred channels so people who watch BBC2, 3 and 4 are (so I've read) less likely to watch ITV1, C4 or C5.

ps: thank you for the link to the article, Norman.

• 3 months later...
[quote user="Lehaut"]Reviving the thread someone, anyone else caught The Tunnel? A first I believe where both us and our French counterparts can equally enjoy a programme.[/quote]

Haven't seen this, but isn't it based on "the Bridge"? - seems to be the same starting point.

We watch the Tunnel, Le H,  its become “ must see” for us. Well acted,

interesting plot and a good chance to practice French.

Enjoyed Wallender too, both the English and the Scandinavian

versions. Similarly, enjoy Montalbano. Always thought the subtitles would be a

faff, but not at all.

Didn’t see The Bridge, Spiral or the others mentioned,  but would if the chance arose again.

[quote user="Yonner"]

We watch the Tunnel, Le H,  its become “ must see” for us. Well acted,

interesting plot and a good chance to practice French. [/quote]

I know it's airing on Canal+ but is it free or part of the subscription package? We only have the fta channels - which means we don't watch it in English either as it's on Sky.

For me, despite being able to understand the dialogue in both languages, The Tunnel doesn't have the same impact as the original! I watched 3 or 4 episodes and didn't get gripped by it.

I barely remember the original plot, just the pleasure of anticipating each new episode... but there's none of this with The Tunnel [:(]

There's a US version of the same, with Diane Kruger and Demian Bichir, also called The Bridge, which takes place on the Texas-Chihuahua border.

It was The Bridge that got me into watching sub titled scandenavian things, gripping from the first episode, where as The Tunnel hasn't got me at all. I half watch it when it is on. I keep wondering if I had never seen The Bridge I would have got on with it better.

I have friends who adore 'Spiral', but I have only ever watched bits of it. I just hope that the english sub titles are up to the job.

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Norman,

Bring back Maigret with Gambon. Although I'm not sure it was filmed in France.

David

PS I see where there are plans to bring it back. And it was filmed in Budapest.

[/quote]

Bring back Maigret with Rupert Davies (if only that were possible!) The best Maigret of all.

We are gripped by the Tunnel because we have not seen any of the previous incarnations so its all new to use. Spiral we find very gritty, tense and facinating, mostly the police procedures which we hope are NOT based on realilty. Our children are appalled by the new French terms we are learning from the dialogue. "Putain" seems a word you can use in all circumstances!!

Have "The Returned" to try after the last series of Spiral.