French TV

NormanH

Engrenages was good. Is there more to come? I hope so.

Also liked the one that Channel 4 showed last summer..forgotten its name but it was all about someone digging up bodies and putting them in show homes. Much in the style of Engrenages but without all the (IMO) gratuitous bonking.

Pee Ess. Andy, thanks for the tip about "Spin" - it's available in the UK online on All4's "Walter Presents" which is an interesting selection of European dramas all selected by a real bloke called Walter. I shall give it a go. Particularly as I see it has the avocat innit who met his demise in Engrenages..?

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Andy, thanks for the tip about "Spin"

Particularly as I see it has the avocat innit who met his demise in Engrenages..?[/quote]

IMHO Spin is rivetting; series 2 looks sound too. Though the 'good' avocat of Engrenages has swapped his character for one of a more sinister hue.

Engrenages was brilliant; I really miss it. Seemingly, according to what I have read, it was considered to be realistic by those in the know; dramatic licence apart.

It did wonders for my French comprehension, though not necessary helpful for acquiring a vocab that could be used in daily conversation.

Sue

Spiral was one of the few series on UK TV that I regarded as unmissable.

Being hard of hearing, I tend only to watch programmes with subtitles, whether in English or French. It would be nice if more of the French ones were subtitled as it not only helps me to follow the programme but is also useful for learning vocabulary, etc. I find TV and radio listening particularly difficult and am sure my French would improve considerably if I could hear broadcasted sound better.

The subtitling on Spiral was perfect.

Must be me on the bonking, but there did appear to be lots of clandestine hanky panky going on.

Series 2 of Spin seems already to be available on All4...

"Witnesses" ( or Les Témoins if you prefer) was the other one I was thinking of. Very "noir" . I enjoyed it a lot..

Oh dear, duff gen in my earlier post - or wishful thinking...

Reading this article from Nov 2015, about Engrenages winning an Emmy in the US, it sounds as if series 6 was still being written at that point, so presumably will not even be on Canal+ until late 2016.

Good news that there is already a 7th series in the planning!

---------

"Engrenages" décrit avec réalisme et précision le quotidien de policiers, avocats et magistrats. La saison 5 a été diffusée début 2015, l'écriture de la saison 6 est sur le point de s'achever. Canal+ a d'ores et déjà signé pour une 7e saison.

---------

Angela