French Cinema

NormanH

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Just saw "Liberté" by Tony Gatlif. Rather topical  in view of the "Romanians thread" on this forum!

http://culturebox.france3.fr/all/6814/la-liberte-selon-tony-gatlif#/all/6814/la-liberte-selon-tony-gatlif/

Tony Gatlif is of mixed parentage himself (gypsy father and Maghrebin mother).

It is the story of a large family of "Bohemians"/ Roms/gypsies, persecuted during WW2 in France (during the Vichy government, it was illegal to be a nomad). They are being helped to relative safety by a couple of French resistants, but France itself being divided, a French collaborator is intent on their destruction (wanting to get rid of "vermin" in France) etc...

In spite of some weaknesses, the film is eminently watchable, gripping and informative. It came from a real life story of a particular extended family who were later successfully caught, deported, and died in Auschwitz - just like some 250,000 or 500,000 other gypsies who were murdered in concentration camps...

I too enjoyed this film, definitely worth seeing . The part played by teacher in the story was based on a resistance worker I think she was Melle Lundy).

I saw the film at St Georges de Didonne (17) some of the local travelling families were invited to come and watch and afterwards they took part in some interesting discussion about the film and their life as it is lived today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ah well this is the thread - I haven't seen all of the films mentioned something to look out for- we are lucky to have a local cinema which helps a bit.

Otherwise it's usually Arte or other channels on TV.

Who saw La Môme ? There was a lot of criticism about it saying it dwelt on the negative aspects of Piaf's life but I actually enjoyed it: I thought Marion Cotillard was superb !  Have you already discussed this ? I've come in a bit late probably.

Moonraker;was the film about the children taken by the Gestapo ?I missed it - was it good ?

Nice to see you posting here [:D]

I think that moonraker's link

is a very good account.

you could also look at

http://filmsdefrance.com/FDF_Au_revoir_les_enfants_rev.html

As for Cottilard, she won loads of awards for her astonishing performance, including an Oscar.

I think that some of the criticism was of the structure if the film which was a bit confusing, as much as over the grimness.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/lavieenrose

Yes I did read some of the critiques of La Môme, thanks for the link, and watched the interview with Michel Drucker on TV - she is quite a tall lassie isn't she ? she explained how she 'got inside' the role. Did you see ?

The Au revoir film was the one I saw advertised - pity I missed it.

They've recently brought out a film about the raid on Jews in Paris in 1942  -'Le Rafle' - which a friend of mine saw and said there wasn't a dry eye in the house - and how he had felt so ashamed - as it was the French Police who did this - the man in charge never paid the price for his crimes.

It was one reason I did watch the film on TV I mentioned Le Vieux fusil with Philippe Noiret - he got a Caesar for it. More war.

But they had another of his (what a good actor) on a few weeks ago. Don't know if you saw that, called 'Le Juge et l'Assassin' based on a true history about a Jack the Ripper character who was roaming across France at about the same time - killing shepherdesses mainly. Noiret was the judge - but the assassin chap was played really well - it always makes you wonder when people get inside a role so well if there isn't just a bit of them in there.

I'm going to have to note down some of these films and see if I can get them on Amazon.fr.

Look forward to reading some more write ups.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again - busy week - I watched the clip of Uranus you sent also another couple - sounds like a film worth watching - thanks.

I am also a fan of Daniel Auteuil - great in the Pagnol films of course but have you seen La fille sur le pont - a bit of an 'art' type film about a girl who tries to commit suicide by -guess- jumping off a bridge - he is a knife thrower and they sort of get together.TV has busted following the change over so not seen anything on there since.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Clair"]Jacques Audiard, who directed Un prophète, also directed De battre mon cœur s'est arrêté (The Beat That My Heart Skipped), which won a BAFTA [/quote]

The Guardian has a good article on Romain Duris, the French actor who plays the lead in the above film:

Romain Duris: Hero or antihero?

His latest movie Heartbreaker (L'arnacoeur), where he plays opposite Vanessa Paradis, has garnered good reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope it's OK to post a query in this thread. It seemed like the logical place and the answer, if any, might be of interest to anyone that loves French films.

I'm trying to find a French film I saw on UK television quite a few years ago and would appreciate any help I can get in identifying it. The story revolves around a white company boss and the black woman (a single mother or divorcée) who cleans his company's offices. It's a superb piece of cinema: beautifully written, wonderfully acted and one of those films which builds an entrancing story out of next to nothing. One of those films the French do so well. I've never forgotten the film, just its title!

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Romuald et Juliette?[/quote]

Yes, that's it!

According to IMDB it was Firmine Richard's first film, too. Whoever cast her in the role deserves a big pat on the back. She was superb.

Many thanks for your help. Nowto try and find the DVD.