French members English speaking club Montlucon Auvergne

lesfavets

For those Brits wishing to polish their speaking of the French language, There is a French members club in Montlucon l'Allier Department of the Auvergne. They meet twice a month in" the London Bar " Montlucon but what is even more interesting they have an English President. Anthony who arranges many social functions throughout the year, ie; we have driven up from our home in the Dordogne as past members, to join them for a BBQ in one of the members lovely homes some 40 persons taking part. Each year they also arrange a typical English Christmas lunch in Montlucon and last Christmas some 50 or so members partiicipated.

English persons are more then welcome to join them

Les Favets

• 4 years later...
Good morning, I entered these details several years ago so we my wife and I now live in the Dordogne but keep very much in touch with the Ckub Anglais . We return each year and this year in October they celebrate their 30 th year in October . Anthony has now passed the Presidency over to

They still meet at the London bar next to the Sunday Market in Montlucon about 6pm Tuesday's and Friday's. Who knows, may meet you in October as we will be joining the Club celebration

Friendly regards Royston & Beryl Watkins

P.s. I was also a Past President before Anthkny

I have removed two names and an email address from this post. If you wish to contact this group please send an email or pm via the forum to the poster.

Hoddy

The London Bar ? Seriously.

Why not the 'dog and duck' ?

That is cool. What actually not. I tell you why.

If there is one thing that bothers me more than Eymet, it is pubs, bars in France with English names.

I HATE THEM !!!

They annoy me. REALLY annoy me. What is the point ? So British people can meet up with other British people and talk about British things and watch the 'match' on sky ?

British pubs and bars in France are horrible places that you need to keep away from.

Rant over.

Sorry to hijack the thread . Big smile.

Bingo! I was certain that ALBF woukd appear, as if on a magic carpet, to respond! He rose like a trout to a fly.

It’s not something I would necessarily enjoy, but each to his/her own, what harm can it do?

Do you think that all the French people in the UK speak French in their leisure hours? Most don’t - they seek others like themselves to chat in French, so I’m told by the son of a French friend locally, who moved to France quite a few years ago.

British pubs in France are so artificial. They are not real. I really hate them.

They are full of weird expat/immigrants pretending that they are in a UK pub (speaking English really LOUDLY)....or....some just looking completely awkward because they were bored and thought it was a good idea to go the British (or Irish) pub in FRANCE !!!!!!.

Mixed in between are a few French thinking they are in an British/Irish pub trying to play darts.

YOUR NOT in a BRITISH pub !!!!. Largely because, the pub is not in the UK. It does not work.

Don't waste your money.

Don't get me wrong, I love pubs. But in the UK. Especially with a cosy fire.

BUT NOT IN FRANCE !

I am not sure what part of the wood you have just crawled out of but firstly the word " pub " was not used it was " Bar" and as I recall there are thousands of bars in France where they serv mainly wine etc. The Club Anglaise I have referred to was formed 30 years ago in Montlucon by tbe French !! Chamber of Commerce especially for French local people to meet for English conversations to improve their knowledge . The membership has been for many years in the region of 50 to 60 mixed French persons and about 8 to 10 English . It was formed as you can see for the French not the Englsh. So before you go ranting off about you personal feelings in public . Check your facts

Les Favets

Well I have been told. LOL.

Just keeping your thread alive.

There is an English bar in L'Alpe du Huez called 'Smithys bar/tavern' which is basically a Brit pub type thing. It is a Brit pub inside in terms of decoration and it is run by an English guy.

Anyway, as soon as the Brits arrive in the resort for their ski holiday they head for that pub/bar and get shît faced. When leaving the pub they then pick fights with each other until 4am in the morning. They also vomit kebab, pee and do other things at the entrance of our apartment for good measure. They also keep me awake at night swearing (not in French) and being vulgar.

The pubs marketing tag/catchphrase for their bar is 'the avoidance of sameness'.

You could not make it up. LOL.

Brits abroad.

Some friends and I once tried to go in a Australian run pub in Kitzbühel called The Londoner. Its catchphrase was, Kitzbühel’s real London pub. We were stopped at the door by a bouncer who said that they were full. I looked in and there was nobody standing at the bar. We pointed out that we were happy to stand at the bar for a beer. We’re full, he repeated, it’s sitting at a table only. We pointed out that he’d obviously never been in a London pub but, surprisingly, he still didn’t let us in.

ALBF, these places are obviously not for you and they are not for me either, but hate...........???? that is a strong emotion about this.

I cannot say I don't have some feelings about such places, I do, and I knew deep down that the 'english' clubs in the vicinity of where I lived when I first moved to France, way before, the 'mass movement' happened in the 90's, were not for me. I did meet some members of this specific club and they simply were not my type.

Also, I had moved to France, why would I search out other brits, IF I had wanted or needed british companionship, I would have simply gone home.

This board, well, I had been in France almost twenty years when I found it, so why not come on here. There are quite a few posters, who, if I had met IRL, I am sure I would have become  friends with. As it is, I happily consider them online friends.

And back to these places, I have to ask why people go to them. I do not get it at all. I really don't.

That en campagne in France is often rather sedentary and there is not a 'rich' social life, well that is my experience, even in my village with lots of association, and we were members of quite a few of them.  But that is the nature of living en campagne in France, maybe en campagne in the UK too, but surely there would be a local pub, which would not be a bar full of local alcoholics, as the bars were in my old french village of an evening and breakfast time, come to think.[Www]

I didn't go to pubs in the UK back in the day when they were full of cigarette smoke and I was (still am) asthmatic.  Then when smoking in public places became forbidden, I had a couple of years of pub going![:)]

However, I soon gave up on pubs as I didn't like the noise and the crowds and I didn' like pub meals all that much.  Yes, that included meals in "gastro pubs" or whatever they were called.

As pubs were not for me in the UK, I doubt that a UK pub in France would be any more to my taste.  So, I stand by you, idun, I would never dream of frequenting one of these and, like you, I don't really see the point of them!