using the language

richard51

Had a very good official meeting this morning with a french person.

He was really pleased that we tried to use french to speak to him - he was good in english but said that he was pissed off (our translation) about the number of German.Dutch etc who just would not try.

He was very amused when I introduced the google translate app on the mobile phone. Twice now it has proven useful and indeed a useful topic of conversation .

Perhaps the only useful thing gained from that "royal" person. Perhaps "linguists" can learn "scientific", etc things in their old age.

There you go again...yawn. Oddly, I'm a multitasker, like most wimmin. I have a joint honours degree in French with a technological/scientific subject, which has allowed me to work in the speciality chemicals industry in Francophone countries, entre autres. But when I reach old age, dicko, I'll let you know if old people who primarily focus on humanities subjects are able to broaden their horizons. If we are both still here.

Still, at least you've credited me with giving you one piece of useful info. Maybe one of these days you'll reciprocate? I won't hold my breath.?

[quote user="richard51"]Had a very good official meeting this morning with a french person.

He was really pleased that we tried to use french to speak to him - he was good in english but said that he was pissed off (our translation) about the number of German.Dutch etc who just would not try.

He was very amused when I introduced the google translate app on the mobile phone. Twice now it has proven useful and indeed a useful topic of conversation .

Perhaps the only useful thing gained from that "royal" person. Perhaps "linguists" can learn "scientific", etc things in their old age.[/quote]

I keep coming back to this post, and wondering how long you have lived in France richard51. The reason being that you say:- 

He was really pleased that we tried to use french to speak to him

And it is those words, 'tried to use french' that are bothering me. What does that mean, and what has a translation app got to do with anything.

One thing I do know, is that mistakes can and often do happen, as does going round the houses trying to explain oneself when one's vocabulary has holes in it.

But getting out a phone, or a dictionary as I would have had to do, would have just killed 'conversations'.

And if other nationalities are so rude that they cannot be bothered, that is terrible, and anyone not trying, if they have become proper residents in another country are disgraceful.

Thanks sue, I hadn't realised, and I never expect holiday home owners and even temporary workers to get to full grips with the language in the country they are in temporarily.

Still, getting the phone out or a dictionary, well, still feels like it could stunt a conversation.

It does exactly that, Richard. Intentionally so. Until the nascence of degrees such as mine, marrying languages and technical/technological subjects, it was difficult for language graduates to branch out beyond teaching or translating/interpreting as a profession after graduation. Employers often searched for glued together hybrids: people with the language skills to function in international industry or commerce, where almost every sector has its unique, industry-specific language and vocabulary. Even today, many translators will be required to have studied, or be proficient in a specific subject such as law or medicine in order to command the best rates or commissions for translation work. It's not enough to simply know the language.

Having a degree that showed the individual capable of being able to rapidly adapt and assimilate to those demands proved itself very useful to those who chose that particular study route, and I know that I, and many of my contemporaries, would be proud to be described as a glued together hybrid. ?

That article does nothing whatsoever to add to your comment, Dicko. It is about the application of computer based technology to different spheres of life/business/industry.

Which has rock all to do with "apps"

Maybe if you were less disparaging of modern use of language, you'd know the difference.

I await your habitual response.

One of my friends is a traductrice assermentée who has translated the most bizarre written matter over the years. She is, apparently, extremely knowledgeable about the many different kinds of cement used in the building industry .. amazing just how language is used isn't it ?

[quote user="suein56"]One of my friends is a traductrice assermentée who has translated the most bizarre written matter over the years. She is, apparently, extremely knowledgeable about the many different kinds of cement used in the building industry .. amazing just how language is used isn't it ?[/quote]

I used to know a lot about cement and concrete too, one of the subject areas I have worked in.  And yes, I have a friend who is assermenté, she gets some interesting subjects to work on too, as well as a lot of the usual certificates for CdS and nationality at the mo!