>I know that quenelle is a
>light dumpling served with sauce
>but does anyone have, or
>can lead me to, a
>recipe please for a vegetarian
>version?
>
>regards....helen

Cor, you got me going there for a minute. You are right, it is a 'kind of delicate forcemeat, commonly poached and used as a dish by itself or for garnishing.' It is also a term used for the shape of something, often made with two spoons which is the term I am more used to.

Did a search on Google and most of the Quenelles are of the shaped and not ingredient kind - sorry.

Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

I have a German recipe for potato dumplings which are very good.

To serve 6 people:

3 lb potatoes
1 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 oz semolina
3 oz wheatmeal flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 slices bread
Butter

Cook potatoes, then sieve (though I find life too short to sieve potatoes and usually mash them thoroughly). Leave to become cold.

Add salt, nutmeg, semolina, flour and eggs and knead into a smooth dough. Cut the bread into small dice and fry light brown in butter.

Flour hands and make round dumplings about the size of a fist with the potato dough and press a few of the fried croutons into each. Put dumplings into boiling salted water and cook for about 12-15 minutes.

Serve with a sauce such as tomato, herb or onion. My receipe also suggests serving with stewed fruit though I haven't liked the idea enough to try it.

The result is surprisingly light.

According to my dictionary wheatmeal flour is rather like wholemeal but with fewer whole grains. If I can't get it, I use wholemeal. I have had this recipe for years, hence it being in pounds and ounces!

Gerry