French Leave

zeb

I got this for Christmas (by John Burton Race) and I would like to try several of the pudding recipes which look yummy! But....where does he get all the double cream from which many of the recipes require?

I didn't see any of the programmes as we don't get Channel 4 but I presume this was the guy that came in for a lot of criticism from LFers a few months back?

helen

Ah - double cream

Having just made my first batch of ice-cream with French cream - it is a total disaster. My sorbet is OK (well with the addition of enough alcohol any sorbet is OK .

Our neighbour the farmer makes his own but at this time of the year when he is housing family from all over France and dealing with cows and horses in the snow I don't really like to bother him and he may not understand my need of ice-cream in the winter.

Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

I bought some Creme Crue yesterday from a Bio Co-op. They have shelves full of creme fraiche and only little section of a few pots of the 'real thing'. It is delicious, thick, creamy and yellow.

The only other place I have seen it is at the market on the stall of a small local producer. Over Christmas they had sold out but have now had some in again. It is worth seeking out these shops.

Liz (29)

I got this book for Christmas as well, being in UK the double cream is no problem but I'm damned if I can find the potato starch he lists in one of his recipes!
Even Sainsburys (bows head-genuflects)didn't have any.;)
Dean.

I did watch the programmes and saw him use the Elle et Vie cream in a carton for one of his recipes but can't remember which. I made a mental note of this as I was interested to know what he used as I find it so difficult to find decent cream here.

I met him by chance in a branch of Costco in the U.K. in December. I recognised his wife first and as I had just bought his book I asked him to sign it. He was very nice and we had a little chat. He mentioned that the production co. was planning another series and that they would find out that day where they were going. Unfortunately, he couldn't give me any clues!

Anyway, hope the cream works.

K