Neighbour's property in disorder

Hibou

[:(]We live in a lovely 'heritage village' in the Gard.  When we built our property we had to jump through every hoop possible to comply with the demands of  Batiments de France.  Our neighbour's garden can only be described as a version of Steptoe's yard but much worse. There are old freezers, cement mixers, gas fires and all sorts of other rubbish stacked against our wall as well as along the road fronting edge of his property. Should we ever wish to sell, it will obviously greatly devalue our property.  Does anyone know if there are any rules regarding the upkeep of the appearance of property in a heritage village? Many thanks.

[quote user="Hibou"][: Should we ever wish to sell, it will obviously greatly devalue our property.  Does anyone know if there are any rules regarding the upkeep of the appearance of property in a heritage village? Many thanks.

[/quote]

I don't see why, it didn't stop you from buying the land to build on[:D]

[quote user="Hibou"]Not really helpful Derf.   It wasn't the case 8 years ago when we bought the property.  The neighbour got divorced after we arrived.  He lives alone and doesn't seem to care.

[/quote]

That seems to be the pattern regardless of nationality.  The house 3 doors along the lane from us in the UK is the same.  They got divorced, he got the house and it has been slowly sliding into a scrapyard ever since...along with his sense of dress and hygiene.  OK maybe not so slowly.  Without a woman behind them...

Think how your poor neighbour must feel, before you went to his country and built your house he had a nice field next to him.

He has had to suffer a long period of disruption while the build took place no doubt and when it is all completed the outsiders complain to the Marie about him.

I suspect you are in for some happy times ahead. [Www]

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Hibou"]Not really helpful Derf.   It wasn't the case 8 years ago when we bought the property.  The neighbour got divorced after we arrived.  He lives alone and doesn't seem to care.
[/quote]

That seems to be the pattern regardless of nationality.  The house 3 doors along the lane from us in the UK is the same.  They got divorced, he got the house and it has been slowly sliding into a scrapyard ever since...along with his sense of dress and hygiene.  OK maybe not so slowly.  Without a woman behind them...
[/quote]

A defensive posting from me on behalf of all Steptoes, current and potential.

This is a basic bloke human instinct and should be viewed and protected as a human right.

All blokes or mecs are natural hoarders and are loathe to throw anything, no matter how inconsequential away as "ca peut toujours servir" the instinct usually lays dormant during childhood due to the mothers influence, I lost my mother when I was very young and so had a head start on my peers.

It germinates the first time a guy has to spend a fruitless Saturday searching for something in the overcrowded brico-lages when if only he hadnt thrown out that self same "useless" thing he could be happily in his home/shed fitting, making or repairing said article.

This is not something that is provoked by divorce but is surpressed by the matriarch during the oppressive marriage, In France where it does seem that at least some men get to keep the house after divorce, once free of these restraints the mec has two choices.

He can indulge his-self to the full and return from la dechetterie always with more junk than he took, ask for anything that looks of interest that is waiting in a trailer or benne to be dumped (my neighbour removes a good 50% of what goes in my trailer), he can do nocturnal scavenging sorties when les encombrants are left out and spend his lonely Sundays going around the brocantes and redéries.

Or he can hang his-self from a rope as so many of these poor souls seem to do [:(]

In my area the transformation of a neat well kept garden to a "Steptoes yard" has evolved into an artform and is seen as a source of pride [:D]

Thanks for the correction Norman!

I am forever picking up words and adding them to my vocabulary without first checking the spelling or the meaning in a dictionary, I am a sort of French Hilda Baker!

Editted:

Very nearly caught me out on that one Norman [6], I am definitely a glandeur without the "E" and I like your irony!

So thats another new word for today, thanks Norman [:)]