Syrop de Violette

Val_2

Couldn't resist buying of bottle of this from the local Super U yesterday. Tastes just like a blast from the past - liquid Parma Violets, remember those? Can have a bit of fun here as when diluted, looks exactly like meths, I feel a tramp moment coming on

[quote]Couldn't resist buying of bottle of this from the local Super U yesterday. Tastes just like a blast from the past - liquid Parma Violets, remember those? Can have a bit of fun here as when diluted, lo...[/quote]

Yes Val we have been buying a lovely "liqueur de violet" for a couple of years here now. Ours is made by MONIN and says "depuis 1912" on the bottle.

In case you haven't tried it, we use it as an alternative to Cassis for a Kir aperitif . It gives a delicious subtle taste and smell to even the cheapest of sparkling wine/champagnes. My brother thought it was methylated spirits when he first saw it!

Punch

[quote]Couldn't resist buying of bottle of this from the local Super U yesterday. Tastes just like a blast from the past - liquid Parma Violets, remember those? Can have a bit of fun here as when diluted, lo...[/quote]

I was introduced to Violette in our local bar not the person the syrop, quite a few of the locals drink it in a glass of red wine, they say it mellows the flavour ( seems a bit of a sacrilage to me), but the locals drink all sorts of funny coloured drinks, don't ask me why?

We live in Dept. 24, but I have never seen this in any other area,we used to live in Dept. 16 and it was never available in any of the bars there.

Ann