Topinambours/Jerusalem Artichokes

Pixietoadstool

My neighbour has just off-loaded about 3 kg of jerusalem artichokes on my doorstep and although I adore the taste of them I hate the after-effects - i.e. severe and painful wind!!!  Does anyone know of a trick to make these delicious little vegetables a little less active on the methane producing front?  Is there a special way of cooking them?  I have been told to boil them in milk but this makes no difference to the eventual result.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Valerie

Asafoetida is good for wind problems.  Only a pinch is needed and should be cooked with the food which upsets you.  Bart spices, sold in many UK supermarkets, makes it.  There may be other brands - or you may find it in Indian spice emporiums, as it is used with pulses in vegetarian cooking.

Do you know your neighbour well enough to ask? Because if he/she grows them, one presumes they eat them too (unless it's all a wind up of "le voisin etranger"! - no pun intended!!).

Anyway, I'd have thought that if anyone knew the answer, it would be the French country folk. Or perhaps they just have cast iron stomachs. You could try asking subtly, "I'm not sure how to cook these...".  In any event, I will watch this thread with interest because I too adore the taste but just won't eat them any more!!

I have done a bit more research on this (via Google) and I am not hopeful that I will be able to stuff myself with these delicious little tubers!  Apparently they contain a lot of indigestible carbohydrate which causes the wind.  They have even more of this than beans and we know what problems those cause don't we?   So the hope is that we can eat something with them which helps to break it down - there was a suggestion about something which is derived from a mould on the internet but no-one sells it that I can find.

So the answer is small amounts i.e. in moderation (I hate moderation!).  I will also try TeamedUp's suggestion of bicarb and also 0Helen's idea of adding some asafoetida which I used to have but seem to have thrown out.

I shall report back!

Valerie