Andouillettes

SaligoBay

Andouillettes? Well, just imagine everything that's disgustingly horrible that goes into English bangers, but not minced up so it's recognisable , and when you cut into it everything unmentionable tumbles out in a gooey mess on your plate and you pass out with the pong. That's andouillettes. We unknowingly ordered them in a local cafe because the only other choice was trout (and boy! Was hubby glad he opted for the trout!) After tentatively pushing them around our plates and deciding we couldn't possibly even try a bit, we began to look around for a suitable hiding place for three bangers. First port of call was the owner's dog - but no joy there - he'd obviously had that experience before and ran away yelping his head off. Then hubby began digging holes in the pot plant to try to bury them, at which point the waitress came back in and asked if everything was alright! We were in fits of laughter - she must have thought we were right weirdos! The tears were streaming down our faces. When she came back in again she said 'Well obviously you didn't like them then!' She took them away, much to our relief, and came back with deserts for all of us which she said were on the house - which was very good of her to say the least.

Linda

Well, as a previous poster mentioned, with andouiettes it's the fact that you can see nodules and god knows what spilling about on your plate.

I was a vegetarian for 15 years, and recently I had Horses Heart as part of a set menu.  I surprised myself. Quite tasty, and I love boudin noir, but andouiettes .....bleeeeuuuuch.

[quote]What a long "thread" about a sausage How about "museau de boeuf". Ray bought some as a salad dish last summer. He thought, yes, beef, I can do that. Whilst chewing, and chewing, and chewing (and m...[/quote]

Hi Suninfrance,

We got some of the porky stuff from our local butcher in Villemousavadrink (something like that) and had it with our lunch. It was lovely and we knew what it was! Haven't tried the beef though..

The best black pud is definately made in the Gloucestershire area too, as are the faggots. The eccossies are only just being re-educated back into decent beer too and away from all that pasturised, dead Britfiz!!! You can't get ''rock salmon' up North either... And the S/West of England is warmer, so there, even warmer here in the Aude!!!

John (nice and warm!!)

When we were renting our house I would leave a book with local information and tips. I would never presume to tell people what not to eat but felt it my duty to tell them what some of the local dishes were.  The main two being Andouillettes and Tripe a la Caen, I then said if I was dying of starvation and the only 2 options were the above I would go for the Tripe.  Many people have thanked me for this especially the Americans who when stuck for anything recognisable on the menu would have thought sausage was a safe bet. How wrong you can be.  When I was in Burma rat curry was considered to be a tasty dish, just goes to show what social conditioning can do to you.

Diana

Hi Diana

"When I was in Burma rat curry was considered to be a tasty dish, just goes to show what social conditioning can do to you."

No need to go that far. Water rat pate is available in much of France.

Look for Pate de Rat Godan, or something like that !

Peter

The Scottish certainly know about good food, what with mars bars dipped in batter and then deep fried along with pies and pizzas - all available from the local fish and chip shop.  No wonder they have the highest heart disease rate in Europe

As for andouilllets Tried some on our barbeque during the summer and the smell alone was enough to make me retch.  Our dog loved em