Andouillettes

SaligoBay

I've often thought I should try these, just for the challenge. And then I smell them.

Someone was eating them at the next table the other day, and to stop myself heaving, I tried to describe it.

I really tried to be positive, but could only think of an overpowering dose of Satanic halitosis mixed with the odour of cow-shed floor. As it wafted past, perhaps the tangy aftersmell of athlete's-foot-infested sweaty socks marinaded in fetid vomit.

So that's what they smell like. What do they taste like?

That is exactly what they taste like it.

I did heave at table when I inadvertantly took one at a friends house and because the table was animated hadn't really looked at what I was cutting into and then popping into my mouth. Soon stopped the conversation though. I felt quite ashamed.

Husband likes them and we will cook them on the bar b que, I would rather they weren't cooked in my kitchen.

>So that's what they smell like.
> What do they taste
>like?

They have very little taste but a strange snot-like texture - not one I would recommend.
Regrettably; not all French food is a delight and this definitely appears on my list of no-no's, along with the other offender which is boudin noir !
So that's 2 things I don't like about French food then !
(Not quite true...I don't eat frog's legs any more, even though they are delicious ..but that's because I've got soft in my old age !).
This could be an interesting thread .........................
Alfa.

• 8 months later...

I agree with all the comments. I have tried them several times on the principal that I like food! But there are limits...... Our local butcher in Villemusthavesue (something like that) does the best budon noir I have ever had. Love it!!!!!

John.

"this definitely appears on my list of no-no's, along with the other offender which is boudin noir !"

We have boudin noir sometimes for dinner now, in small quantities it's rather nice especially with sliced caramelised apples (in butter, sugar & cinnamon). Very good for you too - full of iron. We first tried the BN with apple in it, yum, then with onion (prefer the apple version), and I've got the chilli version inthe fridge at the moment, maybe tonight

Now faggots, now you are talking! 

The best ones I have ever had are from the butcher in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire. I used to have 2 Brains faggots and I could have eaten more. The first time we got the 'Minch' ones I had 2. I managed 1 1/2 and had the other half cold the next day in a sandwich.... Yum, Yum. From then on we bought them by the dozen and put them in the freezer. Done with a nice thick onion gravy, damm the keyboard is getting wet where I'm dribbling! Boiled potatoes and home made mushy peas (must get a waterproof keyboard), I haven't had me dinner yet and I'm just about to eat the dog!!!? Love 'em!!!

John, starving, drooling, etc...

[quote]>So that's what they smell like. > What do they taste >like? They have very little taste but a strange snot-like texture - not one I would recommend. Regrettably; not all French food is a delight ...[/quote]

'along with the other offender which is boudin noir !'

Boudin noir is an absolute delicacy compared with andulette. 

Apparently Vire is the renowned capital for andulette in our parts, they even have a museum dedicated to it.  The advertising posters show a vat of the most evil looking pink/grey entrails being stirred and stretched and a description of how tasty and pure the stuff is.  Well it does not cut any ice with me the stuff is revolting and I certainly would not pay money to see how they produce it.  I would rather eat a plate of Walls Uk sausages, and that is saying something.

There's a GRANITE museum and no-one told me????      Where is this marvel?   I don't think I'll sleep tonight.   Had the most beautiful pink piece holding my gate open in Southampton, I was hoping it would be my joy forever, but some b*****d nicked it. 

What's the matter with you people? Andouilletes are gorgeous!

They do smell a bit ripe, and my wife insists I cook them outside on the barbie, but the good thing is I get to eat them all to myself. yum. I find them great comfort food, especially in winter. And on a summer picnic, anduillette on a tordu loaf - yum yum.

But then I'm a militant carnivore, and if there's something suspicious at the deli counter I'll buy it and bite it. The french in the Charante seem to have this attitude to wildlife - if its dangerous, kill it. If its not dangerous, kill it and eat it.

I always loved the Blackadder episode about the Scarlett Pimpernell and the French arsitos eating "hugely suspicious sausages" made from horses willies.

Stew

(fooling about on this site because my acetelyne tank has run out, and its a Sunday, so my central heating installation has ground to a halt)

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree with you Stew - andouillettes are fabulous food that only a wimpish Philistine would be squeamish about.

Boudin Noir is just as good, and I can't wait to taste some of those horse willy sausages as soon as I can find them in the market.

By the way I think the typo "arsitos" is a great new word, with very appropriate connotations, for labelling those toffee-nosed layabouts with fancy titles. I shall use it as often as possible in future.

Does your heating really run on acetylene? Where do you get it? I thought it was only used for cutting metal and for old fashioned car lights.

Patrick

Let's face it, when it comes to food the British know nothing - a fact convincingly demonstrated by much of the correspondence in this section of the Forum.

Obviously it's recognised all over the world that the French are the experts on anything to do with eating or drinking.

The French eat andouillette, black pudding, frogs' legs, snails, etc.

I rest my case.

Patrick

LOL you've missed a few things from that list Patmobile, there are even more strange and unusual things eaten here too.

I eat all the rest of your list, not the andouilletes which make me retch. They make some french people retch too. My husband likes them, I cannot even put them near my face.

Re black pudding, well it is our considered opinion that it is usually better in the north of England than in France. We like it with those lumps of fat in it too.

I like Andouillettes and will order them from time to time. Last time I ordered them was in the Normandie in Les Anderleys. Where having explained to waitress than I did know what they were. I then had to guess that the America for them was chittlings much to the amusement of a very nice Calfornian couple who were on a cycling holiday.

Enjoy Black Puddings and even the French (who have yet to accept the meaning of Chauvanism ) occasionally award the gold to Northern English products. On occasion I have enjoyed tripe but it is not on my list of great foods nor would I contemplate paying good money for it in a restuarant. I also enjoy Haggis and am at a loss to undertand the comment on British, rather than English food.

You are quite right, Anton, I've got so used to the PC form "British", that I'd forgotten it's only the English, and really only the soft squeamish southerners, at that, who hate any food with a bit of flavour.

Being mi-ecossais myself, and born (presumably by accident)in north-east England, I do, of course, adore haggis as well as civilised northern English dishes such as Black Pudding and tripe.

What did the south of England ever give to the world in the form of culinary delicacy? Bland stuff like Bath buns, Bath Oliver biscuits, Bernard Matthews turkey burgers. Even "Oxford" marmalade is really a Scottish invention. I reckon anything that tastes of real food came from somewhere else.

Bon appetit

Patrick

[quote]You are quite right, Anton, I've got so used to the PC form "British", that I'd forgotten it's only the English, and really only the soft squeamish southerners, at that, who hate any food with a bit o...[/quote]

Patrick,

As someone who was born and bred in the sarf of England and who has eaten most things throughout a lot of Europe (not just West London either mush !) and indeed in many countries not in Europe, including delicious snails, without the disguising taste of garlic butter as well, frogs legs and other animaux parts thought to be somewhat "different to taste normal", including the infamous chips from a Scottish shoulder

I have found that it is not at all tough to eat crap, just plain stupid.

Now where has Tina put the remains of the jellied eels and whelks from last night ?

What a long "thread" about a sausage

How about "museau de boeuf". Ray bought some as a salad dish last summer. He thought, yes, beef, I can do that. Whilst chewing, and chewing, and chewing (and more chewing) (and making concerted efforts to avoid throwing up) decided to look up museau in the dictionary. For those of you who don't know - it means muzzle. Yes, he was eating cow nose.

Yeeeew!

Needless to say - we haven't gone anywhere near it since.

Jan