Parsnips!!

SaligoBay

Round here the red days have finished (according to a friend who has Tempo).

Personally I find parsnips, sweeds and turnips not even worth buying for the chooks - sorry I cannot even be in a house where sweed is being cooked - John is the same. School dinners have a lot to answer for and John went to a 'good' school - well good enough to produce Nasser Hussain and Jamie Foster. I gather the rest of the food at his school was good, cannot say the same for my school.

SB, I understand your excitement! I love root veg, but we just don`t get them down here do we? Saw them last week in a Arabic wholesalers  BUT the quality was very poor.  Mmmm roast parsnips. Mashed sweed (yellow, I`m from lancashire) with mashed potato. Must go and book a visit to my dad on ryanairs new route to Blackpool! Mrs O

Yup, first time I've set eyes on a parsnip in France.

I'll let you know if they're good........

Forgot the red days were finished, that would explain why there were 3 in a row last Wed, Thurs, & Fri.   Not that I'm obsessed or anything! 

Oh yippee, I can put the heater on in the kitchen and see if my olive oil turns clear again.  SO  depressing to see it all cloudy like that, woe is me.  House has even been too cold for son's lentils-on-cotton-wool-growing SVT experiment, imagine the shame!

SB  This winter has been soooo much better than last.  And for one reason only, OH has been growing parsnips!!  It was so aweful going through our first winter in France without any that last Spring we planted some and WELL, they were unbelievable.  Family size parsnips is an understatement, they were MASSIF.  Must be all the cowsh1t we have round here draining into the soil.  One parsnip was enough for the two of us to have roast parsnips with our Sunday lunch and spicy cream of parsnip soup for starters.  And surprisingly for their size, they weren't in the slightest bit woody.

Get some kind person in the UK to send you a pack of seeds and have a go.  They need to be in the soil for a long time April/May, to the first frosts (oops, that might be a problem for you lot down there!)  But from November onwards, it's well worth the wait!!

++ Get some kind person in the UK to send you a pack of seeds and have a go. ++

I think I remember SB saying she preferred astroturf to grass... ...so maybe we should undertake to grow them for her and mail a supply down south during the winter months? I have a packet of seeds which I really bought so I could grow and introduce our neighbour to them. But as TOH and I are emphatically *not* of the parsnip / turnip / swede persasion, I'd be happy to mail them on to you, SB. Or would you prefer them oven-ready??

Carole

who used to be 2heads but now wants to be a tree

The good thing about astroturf is that it stays green!   The grass round here is all BROWN because we've had no rain since..... well, I don't know, but certainly no real rain since we moved in in October.   They're talking about a drought already!  Better start stockpiling bottled water.   

Ed's parsnips were pretty good last night.   And the smell, oooohhhhh, perfumes of Arabie had nothing on my kitchen, roast parsnips and garlicky chicken, mmmmmmm.

I've got some in the garden.  Too lazy to dig them up back end and they are re-sprouting.  Not for me, I hasten to say.  Grow them for a friend although OH has developed a taste for them.  Bleugh!

Will dig them up and see what they are like and send them to you in a Red Cross food parcel.....

You can nearly always buy parsnips in season at the market in Dol de Bretagne (Brittany) stall near the covered market and in the Dordogne in Ste Foy la Grande market (the bio stall).  According to the EDF website there is still one more red day under the Tempo tarif - sorry to disillusion you.

Try par boiling the quatered parsnips for about 3 minutes then whilst still steaming coat in a pre mixed layer of equal quantities of flour and parmesan with salt and ground pepper to taste.  Heat oil in roasting tin add parsnips and roast in the normal way - yummy.

Mops

According to mappy, Dol de Bretagne is about 1000km away - even for  parsnips, it's a bit far!

I can cope with one more red day, it's just sooooooo nice to be able to live (relatively) normally without them.    You cannot imagine the luxury of getting undressed in a bedroom that is more than 8°!  

I go along with Di on this one. Parsnips are one of only two things I refused to eat as a child. The other being tripe. I never got over being given "banana"  sandwiches  to eat at a birthday party in the post-war austerity years, then being told it was really mashed parsnip with banana essence. Pat.

I found fresh parsnips in a health food shop in Aurillac (15).

They're called PANAIS in France, and they were always considered horse and pig food, which is why you won't usually find them in supermarkets.

It's worth trying the Bio markets/shops angle, as they're seen as "marginal" veg only fit for veggies and a bit weird!!

Now is the time to plant and you can buy seeds from

http://www.graines-baumaux.fr/produit.asp?numsouscategorie=104

http://www.willemsefrance.fr/boutique/masque105.asp?reff=5502703&reffMere=270

http://www.jardiniersdefrance.com/boutique/produit_detail.asp?produit_id=479

(sorry, copy & paste as I can't do links with Mozilla) If the right page does not come up, type panais in the search field...

[quote]I found fresh parsnips in a health food shop in Aurillac (15).They're called PANAIS in France, and they were always considered horse and pig food, which is why you won't usually find them in supermark...[/quote]

In the Corrèze we have them in Grand'frais regularly along with a magnificent collection of really fresh vegetables kept in good condition by a spray system, including even exotica (for France) like lemon grass, pak choi in variety, bok choy, scotch bonnet peppers, tropical fruits and some excellent dried legumes and fruits. That's in Brive, on the outskirts of the Lot and not too far from the Dordogne. In addition, we see them regularly in the local cash and carry (also in Brive) called "Promo-cash". As B&B owners who do food, we were able to get a card. However your friendly local hotelier will have a card to HIS local cash and carry, and might even be persuaded to let you go too, for a good cause.

• 17 years later...